msalcido

Drip Line/Watering Question

OK - so I may be naive when it comes to this so please forgive. I have a drip irrigation watering system on the Hydrangeas, I've added the stake and the nozzle (where the water comes from) right under the plants to make sure water is getting to the roots. I just read not to water at the base of the plants because it may cause root rot :shock: - is this the case? If so, where do I place them?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

twittel

I'm new to hydrangea too. I've used a drip line right on the base for the past two years and do not have any problem with root rot. My line drips for 30 minutes at a 1 gallon rate. I'm doing this for 3 hydrangea plants. My plants are in morning sun, but because of lack of shade, they still take more sun than needed.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Be aware that you will need additional "drip spots" as the hydrangea grows.

msalcido

Thanks Twittel and Luis...

Luis so at what location should the "drip spots" normally be?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Drip spots occur about one feet from each other but you may need to add additional tubing or spots when the plant grows and the nearest spot that used to water the plant is far away from newer parts of the plant. A half moon tubing attachment or a full circle may have to be added in future years to reach other areas of the plant that simply were not there when the shrub was young.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”