msalcido

Crisp leaves

so I'm confused! I have a coupe of hydrangeas that get only morning sun from sunrise until about 11am and then it's filtered sun the rest of the day. Two of these hydrangeas have leaves that are very crispy (look almost burnt). I'm making sure they are getting enough water but not sure what is causing the crisp leaves.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

The last few weeks in northern Texas, we have had very windy days. When you mix windy days with temperatures above 100 and some sun, you can bake or blow dry the leaves so they end up brittle or crispy. The strong winds make them loose moisture too fast, fast enough where the leaves do not get a chance to wilt. A wind break of some type should help. I try to water them the night before they issue wind advisories.

msalcido

as always - thanks Luis! I guess I'll need to start paying more attention to the wind advisories!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Someone once told me that he/she gives the plant a haircut (it was ES, the rebloomer) to reduce the area above ground that needs moisture but gosh, that sounded too radical for my taste. Oh well. Whatever works!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”