buzzcut

new to hydrangeas (re: blooms)....

found a beautiful looking 'twist and shout' at a nearby menard's. the plant did not have blooms at the time of purchase. I planted it approximately 4 weeks ago and it has really taken off. plenty of buds! after looking closely the other day, I noticed a few buds were starting to open---but, they were green. no pink or blue---as of yet. is this rather common for a newly planted hydrangea? I had an endless summer quite a few years ago that didn't survive our winter (I'm guessing because we practically had no snowcover that year). so, I am rather new to hydrangeas.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Yes, it is common. It does not happen with all varieties out there but it does happen. They are called immature blooms. They should change with time.

buzzcut

luis_pr wrote:Yes, it is common. It does not happen with all varieties out there but it does happen. They are called immature blooms. They should change with time.
thanks for the "tip" luis. guess in all my ventures into garden centers/nurseries, I have never notices green blooms on any of the hyrdrangeas (endless summer series). otherwise, I am really impressed how the plant has taken off since being planted. bit more vigorous than I had imagined.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”