msalcido

Identification

I purchased this Hydrangea last year when they went on sale. Got it for $5.00 at Home Depot. Only problem it only had a handwritten label that said Hydrangea. No actual identification.
Now it's blooming so I know it's a lacecap; however not sure what kind. Can anyone help out?
The leaves are velvety (fuzzy) to the touch. Here is a pic.

[img]https://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll196/mlsalcido/BlueBillow.jpg[/img]

I'm thinking it's a Blue Billow? Any help is greatly appreciated.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I would try to harass the person who orders or who receives shipments so they would show me a list of the hydrangeas that the store got. Then review which lacecaps the store recently got. My Nikko Blue is a lace cap! Hee hee hee! :lol:

msalcido

LMFAO - trust me I did. I asked the sales person to find out and she went to the back and spent what seemed like forever and returned and said - I'm sorry we don't have a list. :roll:

Whatever it is I'm very happy with it! Those Nikko Blues - yours is a lacecap and mine is Pink even after I amended the soil! :?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Your shrub's roots are mostly in the original potting soil, which is alkaline soil. As the new roots venture into your garden soil, the blooms will change ever slowly and as long as you keep amending the soil. Can take a year or more though. Just follow the label directions and test the soil acidity frequently so you can see how it is changing. Write the results in a place easily accessible like a wall calendar. And feel free to amend the soil during the winter too since our winters are generally so mild. My Nikko Blue, I mean, my Nikko Pink lacecap is a pink with slight purplish undertones this year.

msalcido

I guess the roots finally hit the amended soil, the plant is here at the lake house and when I arrived tonight, some of the blooms are turning from pink to blue. YAY...I'll keep amending and hopefully next year they will all be blue!

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”