oakleaf hydragea
No votes
limelight hydrangea
No votes

Total votes: 0
TheAttachedMama
Newly Registered

Which Hydrangeas Should I plant?

I am trying to landscape my house to look like a cottage garden. I am also on a very tight budget.

I am looking for two flowering shrubs to plant on the side of my front porch. There is a small to midsized Cherry tree about 8-12 feet away. The only other plants around there are some perennials. I was thinking of planting two hydrangeas. I want a plant that is going to look good for as long as possible. I am also new to hydrangeas and trying to learn how to properly care for them.

At the garden center I found some hydrangeas for very good prices. They have Oak leaf hydrangeas (very large) for $14.00. And Limelight Hydrangeas for $14.00 each (very large).

Which would you choose to plant?

(I live in Central Ohio)

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I am not a landscaper so allow me to post instead some things to think about: Hydrangeas are deciduous; is that going to be ok or do you prefer an evergreen plant instead? Which oakleafs are you considering for the area? Some oakleafs get over 10' by 10' but others like Pee Wee are smaller... say, 3 by 3. And yes, some are mid-point about 6 by 6... like Limelight.. Is the mature size going to be ok for that location? Limelight's blooms remain green longer if not exposed to too much sun. Its blooms are actually immature blooms and that is why they look green. "Too much" sun makes them turn white. "More" shade makes them stay green longer. Is that location ok for Limelight? Oakleafs have roots that can rot if they stay wet too long. This requires the soil to drain well. I lost one due to very unusual rain patterns that lasted over three months. Is your soil well draining or are you planting in an incline?

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”