escapetonh
Newly Registered

Help needed identifying shrub. 'Tardiva' hydrangea blooming

Hello,

I want to duplicate the followign planting. 'Tardiva' hydrangea. I believe it's the WHITE flowering shrub. I also want the BROWN CREPE COLOR shrub (whatever it is)

Link: https://taradillard.blogspot.com/2010/01/garden-designers-bloglink-taras-trinity.html

(scroll down about 2".. the comment below the picture is "Pathways should flow around your entire property, no dead ends. 'Tardiva' hydrangea blooming, above.")

I'm trying to find out what the brown crepe paper color flowering shrub is, since it's blooming at the same time as the white hydrangea.

Thanks for reading,
Ann

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Tardiva is a tardy hydrangea, maybe the latest bloomer of all paniculatas. The picture was probably taken in the Fall when Tardiva was starting to bloom just as the other paniculata was ending its bloomage period.

The brown blooms resemble the panicles of another hydrangea paniculata. Perhaps an early blooming variety such as Unique, Kyushu or Quick Fire. As their originally white blooms age, they change colors in certain progressions and eventually turn shades of brown. So basically, the brown blooms in the picture are pretty old. But they contrast well with Tardiva's new and still white blooms.

I suggest contacting the person who wrote the article to make sure you can get exactly what you want. I also suggest you confirm by somehow viewing the blooms of that hydrangea in late Fall and comparing it to the picture.

By the way, wow, very nice pictures on that website!

Does that help you, escapetonh?
Luis

escapetonh
Newly Registered

query. I took your advice and contacted the blogger. No response yet, but I'm hopeful, as the contact address appears to be current.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of hydrangeas. Our condo assn. is allowing me choose the new shrubs. I want bird attracting, beautiful Fall foliage, etc. I know what I like, but don't know what goes together.

Thanks again!
escapetonh

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

You could observe where birds go to at night and which ones attract butterflies. They like Dogwoods, Crape Myrtles and Ilex over here (for protection and cover). There are some smaller abelia bushes that have nice fall foliage as well as some azaleas like Christmas Cheer (or something like that). I am not sure what your zone is up there so they may or may not do well there. Have you tried contacting the butterfly clubs or the Hampshire Bird Club? They like to do trips but they may also be able to give you suggestions of shrubbery that will attract them. Of course, their main attractant in my property is f-o-o-d and water.

Here is a article on the subject:
https://landscaping.about.com/cs/treesshrubs/a/dogwood_trees.htm

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”