shaefins

Dried up twigs from last season

Planted a new hydrangea last year (early summer). Am I supposed to cut back the dead stuff now? It looks like everything is brown and dried up - stems and all.

Also, is this the right time to start applying product to turn the flowers blue?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, shaefins. The dried out stems may yet still leaf out. It is especially difficult to predict when to cut them on newly planted shrubs because they get forced to bloom at unnatural times before we buy them. For the northern half of the country, I would wait until late May, always looking for signs of leaf out. But if you wish, you can prune them earlier in 1" or 2" increments until you either reach green or get to the bottom of the stem.

Amendments to acidify the soil should be added throughout the year according to label directions. To be most useful, you would need to add them about two months before leafout and continue until blooming. If you are "late" applying them then just start and continue anyways. You may still benefit a little, although if you have a reblooming variety then future blooms may show progress.

It is important not to exceed the amount suggested on the label. Too much of the stuff can burn some of the small roots and stunt this years growth (or worse). Should you accidentally apply too much, try to remove it by hand (use plastic gloves) and apply extra waterings to dilute the amount some. Adding a little lime would counteract the amendment too.

Does that help you shaefins?
Luis

shaefins

Extremely helpful, Luis. I appreciate nuggets of knowledge like being able to prune in small sections until reaching green - thanks so much!

MaryT
Newly Registered

I had this same question and goodled it. Found that you can cut them back but if you leave them they will get stronger each year and eventually they will be able to hold those big blooms without drooping over. It is good to support the stems until then with a fence or something but now I am off topic. . :) Anyway. I did what the other poster said and trimmed the really dead looking ends about 3 inches and left the rest and now there is green showing slowly starting up from the bottom of the stems.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”