BethC
Newly Registered

Possible leaf fungus

I have 4 hydrangea plants that have really been thriving all summer. But lately I've noticed that they're starting to get brownish spots around the edge of the leaves, and in the center of some of the leaves. I did some research and I think it could be a fungus. How would I confirm this? And what should I do to treat it?

Also, the new leaf growth is coming in very pale and yellow. I guess it could just be associated with the season changing, but I am assuming this is probably an iron deficiency. Have any suggestions how this could be remedied? Just add iron, or is there something else I can do?

Thanks!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I see this happen quite often, has it been especially dry in your region? The growing season of Hydrangeas is coming to and end and the plant may just be going into it's dormant state.

BethC
Newly Registered

I live in Oklahoma, and it has been extremely dry and hot until recently. We are now getting occassional rainy days, and it's cooler. That's why I was thinking it might be a fungus problem--because it's been wetter lately.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Are there still blooms on your hydrangea?

If you think it is a fungal infection, spray your plant with a diluted milk solution (Milk and water). This is an organic solution to fungal infections.

However, I personally don't think that you have much to worry about, as generally speaking the season is ending for Hydrangeas and it should start dropping it's leaves within the next month or so.

Any Hydrangea experts out there who can offer any more advice?

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”