sushibuddy
Newly Registered

What kind of hydrangea is this and what is wrong with it?

I got this back in may. I have it in indirect sunlight and water it every 7-10 days. It is not hot here, so the soil stays moist a while.

Does anyone know what neem oil is? Can you use it on hydrangea's? Will it help this problem? Thanks!

Here are some before and after photos. Soooo Sad! :(

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33362987@N02/?saved=1[/img]

msalcido

It's definitely a macrophylla, but not sure what kind. As for what is wrong with it, it looks like powdery mildew. Here is a link that should help out.

https://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1212/

I haven't heard of the neem oil so not sure if it would help out or not. Good luck. It's a beauty.

Happy Outside
Newly Registered

Definitely powdery mildew. Snip off the the infected leaves and discard. Do not leave them near the plant. You can wipe each leaf off with a wet paper towel and set it in the sun for a week or so. don't let the soil dry out. You'll have to water twice a day if its in a pot in direct sunlight. Show us the flowers once they've bloomed and we can tell you exactly what you have. Good luck!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Your plant looks great in the last photo, sushibuddy, even though it has a touch of PM. Love those pink blooms but, do not be alarmed. Hydrangeas are notorious for suffering from powdery mildew. Some varieties are more resistant than others but it is common this time of the year. Here are some good sanitation or cultural practices that you can apply to reduce the outbreak (and future ones).

When you water hydrangeas, water them early in the morning and water the soil, not the leaves. Do not overwater hydrangeas since the extra humidity is just what the fungal spores like. Do not place the pot too close to furniture or other plants... in order to improve air flow that could reduce humidity for the fungi. Remove any plant debris that accumulates at the bottom of the plant as this debris can help harbor spores and can make some infections worse. Leaves and spent blooms infected with PM should be disposed in the trash, especially when the plant goes dormant in the Fall. An increase in the amount of sun that the shrub gets can also help control the excess moisture. Maybe an extra half hour to one hour but, if you do this, monitor the leaves for a few weeks to make sure the leaves then do not get too much sun. If the episode affects a lot of the leaves in the shrub, consider replacing the mulch with new mulch. I think I saw some mulch in Picture P1060461 but it was unclear just how much you use. Also, if the pot gets too hot during the summer months in CA, consider placing the pot within another pot. They sell some square wooden ones, for example, where you can place another pot within.

To reduce the need for watering, maintain from 3-4â€

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”