msalcido

Thanks Luis as always. I had moved them back outside on Saturday and then back in yesterday but put them in the garage. Another question - once temps get back up and aren't going into the 20's do I take them back out or just leave in the garage until Spring?

Thanks again!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Winter temperatures over here tend to bounce all over the map. It would not surprise me to see them go back to the upper 60s soon. So you can do either: (1) bring them inside and take them out when it is above freezing at night or (2) bring them inside until Spring. I have done both. But it gets tiresome when the temps fluctuate too much so I look at the 10-day forecast in www.weather.com in order to decide. Either choice is correct.

If you lived further up north, you would have a similar problem. For example... the plant has not gone dormant; winter is close and you find yourself checking the nightime forecasts often, trying to decide when to winter protect. But then you look at the plant and the leaves are still green... it looks weird to winter protect a shrub that is not dormant. As the cold temps get closer, you end up winter protecting.

That does not kill or harm the plant. It just feels and looks weird. It is... bedtime for the hydrangeas.

msalcido

makes alot sense really. I think I will leave them out until we get into our first night of the 20's. After I'm leaving in the garage. I was going to put up the pop up greenhouse but decided it's too much hassle for the few potted hydrangeas. I think them being outside this week and until it gets colder will help.

I really appreciate all of your assistance!

Thanks!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

You're welcome. I just checked the forecast and we will have freezing low in the 30s on Sat/Sun but nothing else within the next 10 days.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Remember to water the potted plants. You can insert a finger a feel how dry/wet the soil is.

msalcido

Yep - have been. I left them outside until Saturday during the day since it was going to drop into the 20's. If you don't think there is any harm in moving them back and forth, I think I will do that. It's supposed to get back into the 60's today and the lows in the 40's.

Thanks for all your help!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Yes, it was only supposed to go down to 29. I left all my potted shrubs inside. Funny though, the potted hydrangea lost its leaves. The hydrangeas on the ground have yet to loose any leaves. This is opposite to what your hydrangeas are doing! :lol:

msalcido

I moved them all back outside and they are still as green as the first day I bought them. They have been out all week since last Saturday. It's odd how some react differently than others. I wonder why all my potted ones are not dropping leaves and the in ground ones are and yours are opposite. We are not even that far away from each other. I'm in Coppell so maybe 15-20 minutes from you - Weird! :roll:

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I am not surprised that some are still green. I have had some stay green until really late December. Our up-down temperatures do not let the plants go dormant early. I compare it to trying to sleep besides someone who snores! You wake up. Fall asleep a little. Wake up again. Hee hee hee!

msalcido

LOL...I know that feeling! :roll:

On some of the potted ones, the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I can see where the stems are turning "woody". With the temps we have been having they won't go dormant until March! LOL.

Hope all is well. Happy Holidays! :lol:

msalcido

OK - so now what? The hydrangeas have been covered in ice since Tuesday, and now ice and snow from last night. I did mulch them, but will this be enough to protect them?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Normally, that should do it. Varieties that are hardy to Zone 8 should be able to handle the weather on their own without any protection whatsoever.

The problem that we have is the temperatures. The merry-go-round that the shrubs get here can confuse them and, if we get periods of warmth followed by freezing cold temps, the plants could loose their flower buds resulting in no early Spring blooms. Protecting the shrubs with leaves (usually not done here but common in colder zones) would be the only solution.

This scenario happened once in the last 10 years or so. The shrubs were not hurt but flower production was negligible, especially in those that bloom on old wood; remontant ones like Endless Summers skipped blooming early and bloomed in late Spring instead.

msalcido

completely missed this! Yeah, you were correct that did the trick. They all have little buds all over them. I thought for sure the ice/snow was going to kill them. I did put more mulch on them the day before the second snow fall just to take extra precaution.

I'm so ready for Spring and blooms! :lol:

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I hope you were not ill. There seems to be a flu-like disease going around at work in the western side of the Metroplex. I suggest getting the flu vaccine if you have not taken it yet. It may lessen the missery at worst. A bunch of people are absent and many cough so hard that you would expect that a fur ball was going to pop at any time! You could almost see (hear?) "the wave" action at the Ballpark being done with peole coughing. :D Near the end of the disease, you are stuck with a lesser cough until it passes. In my cubicle of 8 persons, we have been working with only 2 or 3 people since Monday. The hydrangeas can wait.

msalcido

Thanks - no not ill thankfully! Just been busy!

We purchased a new house on Lake Holbrook (east Tx by Mineola) and trying to get that place in order.

I'm very excited because I have plenty of space for new hydrangeas. I'm just conflicted on what kind! I guess that is a good problem to have. :lol:

My only concern is, I'm only out there on the weekends. Do you think watering every weekend during the summer would suffice? Since we are on the lake the soil is very loamy and there is alot of moisture but I'm still worried about watering.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hope you are well.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Touch question. You say there is a lot of moisture now. Are the moisture conditions the same during the hot summer months? It is correct to be concerned since I always water twice a week during the hot summer months. The hot temperatures are an issue but sometimes you have to deal with hot drying winds.

You can try to compensate for these two problems by planting in North or East facing sites that get shade starting early in the morning, like 10am & by using lots of mulch, at least 4"; this would preserve soil moisture during the windy summer months and during the times that you will not be there.

Use of oakleaf hydrangas might be recommended as they are drought resistant, more so than macrophyllas but they cannot tolerate wet feet so just make sure the location drains well. Visiting neighbors who have hydrangeas might be called for; ask the neighbors if watering only on weekends is enough for them.

In East Texas, visit the Ruby M. Mize Azalea Garden in Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches. It has hundreds of hydrangea varieties. Ask for their opinion about watering only during the weekends.

Any chance that a neighbor or their children can assist during the weekdays? You may have to experiment with a limited number of shrubs to see what happens. I would look around other nearby houses for use of hydrangeas, azaleas and camellias.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”