swarttra
Newly Registered

Hydrangea for the shade?

I live in Rapid City, SD....very odd place according to the Zone map. Our entire state is a 4 but Rapid and the surrounding hills is that small circle of 5. I had planted a blue hydrangea on the east side of my house. Morning - noon sun. South Dakota has intense summers of great heat. I missed watering one day and the plant has wilted and burnt up. I do have aluminum siding on my house and wondering if that could harm it too? Will these survive in the shade of South Dakota?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hydrangeas prefer shade and don't like full sun. I have mine under a big tree where it gets no direct sun only filtered light and it is doing fine, perhaps not as big as would be if it got a little bit more light, but healthy and blooming and growing.

Yes in those conditions the heat reflecting off the siding would add to the stress on the plant.

If it is just one day, sometimes the wilt in the heat, and then perk back up with a good deep watering/soaking. I'd try that before you give up on it. But this fall you probably want to move it to a more protected location.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”