amy finkel
Newly Registered

container hydrangea

I just purchased 3 Endless Summer. I have several large (20 gal size approx) planter urns. Can I plant my hydrangeas in these urns? Do they absolutely need to be planted in-ground, or will variety of containers work provided they have good drainage, good rich soils, adequate water, part-shade, etc. Please advise, someone. Thanks

GreenBayMike

Hi Amy-

I am no expert by any means, but I think the Endless Summer's will do just fine in the large pots. I have one in my front yard in a large pot and its doing just great! One really nice feature of having them in pots is, you can adjust the pH(acidity) and aluminum content of the soil more easily than if they were planted in the ground. Thus, you have more control over the color of the flowers. You can also put them on a planter dolly and make them easy to move around the yard!

amy finkel
Newly Registered

Thanks, Green Bay Mike!! I've been so worried about my new babies... They're so gorgeous...and in my Zone 4/5 area, the Endless Summer is just what I've wanted...They look fantastic in my large planter urns. Now I can sleep easier knowing they should do fine. You had a great point about being able to control PH easier this way. Thanks again for the input.
Amy

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yes, they will be fine in large pots like that. Just watch your water levels as pots dry out faster than the ground would, hydrangeas are the first to show signs of a lack of water.

GreenBayMike

Very true. If I see mine drooping at all in the morning, I will water just until it starts leaking out the holes near the bottom. In a few hours, it's back to looking perky. Also, I try to avoid wetting the leaves when I water (put the hose at the base). I used to have a kind of rotting/holes in leaves, but that stopped when I stopped wetting the leaves. Maybe just coincidence, I don't know.

Grey
Greener Thumb

It's not coincidence, Mike.

Water droplets on the leaves act as a magnifying glass - so add in bright sunlight and you get burned leaves.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”