seaellare
Cool Member

Hydrangeas in the winter

Hello!

This may be a stupid question, but I'm new to this whole gardening thing :? I am in zone 7 - Western SC. Am I supposed to water my hydrangeas over winter? I have 7 endless summers planted along the east side of my house, that are doing pretty well, about 2' tall now (they were planted in early June). This was just something that I was thinking about, since I have to deep water these guys just about every morning to keep them from wilting. I couldn't find anything official online about it - just covering them with burlap further north.

Thanks!!

Christine

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Christine,

Just like any newly planted shrub they will need water if you don't get rain or snow cover in the winter until they are established. Of course a 3" layer of mulch will help them to retain moisture. Do be sure not to put it against the branches/stems.

Newt

seaellare
Cool Member

Hmmm - okay. I was hoping to get away with not having to go out and water them daily. Oh well! We'll see how much rand and/or snow we get... They do have mulch now, but I'll put more down this fall and be sure to keep them moist.

Thanks a bunch!!

Christine

Newt
Greener Thumb

Christine, you are so very welcome. I don't think you are going to need to water them daily in the winter unless you live in a desert climate, as the weather should be much cooler and mositer. Once a week or two should be enough if you don't get rain or snow. You may not need to water them at all, but should check to see that the ground isn't dry. From the bottom of the page here under Transplanting Tips:
hydrangeashydrangeas.com/planting_fert.html
# If you transplant while your hydrangeas are dormant (the best time), water them deeply one time. They may need no more water until spring brings warmer weather. If you live in a hot dry climate, regular watering during the summer will be very important for the first and second summer.

# The best way to water is deeply. It's better to water well and not water too often. Watering every day can be just as destructive as allowing them to dry out.

# If your soil does not drain well, do not allow it to remain soggy around the hydrangeas. This is especially true for Oakleaf hydrangeas which will rot in a heart-beat if they stand in soil that is wet.

Newt

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”