cindy1024
Newly Registered

Endless Summer Hydrangea looks sick

I recently planted an endless summer plant on the north corner of my house. It gets morning sun only. The original soil was clay and sandy loam. I added about half compost to it. It was a very healthy plant, but since planting it, it has taken a turn for the worse. The leaves are curling and have black spots on them. I water the plant every other day. I have fertlized it a few times with Miracle Grow plant food. I live in Oklahoma where it gets very hot and dry. Does my plant have fungus or am I burning the leaves watering it when the sun is shining? I need help! I had a beautiful mature hydrangea at my last home that took very little effort.

FairyDust
Cool Member

I really don't know what it is, I would assume fungus also. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you. But getting them wet when watering them isn't a good idea. When I water mine I always just soak the ground either with my watering bucket or with the hose. The best time to water is in the evenings, when you water during the day a lot of the water can evaporate so the plant doesn't get to drink up as much water and you also waste water that way too.

Good luck with it, I'm sure someone will be able to help with the black spots soon.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Cindy,

This site has good descriptive info and pics for diseases of hydrangea. Please take a look and let us know what you find.
https://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1212/

There are home made fungicides that can be very helpful.
https://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=204

With no disrespect to Fairy Dust, watering at night encourages fungal diseases due to cooler temps and lack of sun to dry the leaves. Definately water at the base of the plants though.

Newt

FairyDust
Cool Member

so its ok to water during the day? I've always been told otherwise...

Newt
Greener Thumb

The best time to water is in the morning as this will have the plant hydrated before the heat of the day, the sun will evaporate excess water and you will have less disease problems. If you must water during the day it's best to water at soil level so there is less evaporation of the water. Definately try not to wet the leaves if watering at night.

Of course mother nature will water whenever, but when we help her out, that is the best way to go. :)

Newt

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”