Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Is this a dwarf hydrangea, or full-sized?

I received a hydrangea for Mother's Day. I wonder if there's any way to tell whether it's a dwarf or full-sized variety. I have a feeling it might be one of the Cityline dwarfs ... maybe Hydrangea macrophylla Berlin Rabe? My DDIL has no idea what she bought, and I have no experience at all with hydrangeas, other than admiring them. :lol:

For size comparison, it's in a 4 1/2" pot, the tiles on the table are 12" squares, and the plant is 13" tall.

Do hydrangea flowers always open with green petals that turn to pink (or blue, as the case may be)?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know for sure (where's luis, the hydrangea expert? :) ) but I'm thinking you are right, for it to be flowering like that already, it is likely a dwarf variety.

Very pretty! And yes I think the flowers do usually start out greenish...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Thank you, RG! :)

Hydrangeas are totally out of my area of knowledge or experience. Anything beyond admiring my grandmother's lovely hydrangeas when I was a child, anyway. Now, I have to decide whether to plant it out in the yard, or make it a container plant on my patio. Decisions, decisions! :lol:

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hard to tell for me. It could be a dwarf but it may not. There are some nurseries that sell hydrangeas and ship them in small 3" - 3.5" starter plants (my own phrase) containers. The surest way to know if it is dwarf is to contact the place where the the hydrangea was purchased and inquire. The advantage of these small shrubs is it allows the nursery to ship them with less soil and for less cost. Thinking of roses: this starter plant size is an intermediate size between buying bare root roses and buying 1 gallon container plants.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Thanks, luis! :)

I actually looked at the seller's website last night, and while they did have hydrangeas for sale, it didn't say whether they were dwarf or standard.

If I were to plant this in a container and keep it on my patio, could it be planted in-ground at a later time, if it became apparent that it wasn't a dwarf variety? Is it very stressful on a hydrangea to be moved when it is, say, 4 feet tall or more?

I just sent a text to my DIL to see if she can contact the place she bought it from and ask them what variety it is. :)

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Keeping it in a patio container or even on the plastic pot is what I would recommend when the shrub cannot be planted right a way. I also recommend digging a hole and buring the container (low priced ones, not expensive ones or heirlooms) if the plant cannot be planted for many months.

Hydrangeas are pretty strong plants and, provided there is not a moisture issue, no health issues and provided you move as much of the root system as possible, they could be replanted twice in a year with no problems.

Some people actually have to re-plant hydrangeas when the original planting site has some kind of problem. Things like the site is too windy or the site has sunlight problems (ex: the amount of sun is ok in Spring but then it becomes too harsh by summer time). Provided it is kept moist in its new location, the shrub should be ok although it will wilt as most hydrangeas do in their first season.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Thank you so much, Luis! You've been a big help. I was worried that if I chose too small a place for the plant, and then the shrub outgrew it, it might not be possible to move it.

I've wanted a hydrangea for a long time, and it would make me sad if I were to lose this one. :(

My DIL said she would contact the place as soon as she could and would let me know what they said. At least now, I can go ahead and get it in the ground, in case she forgets or the place can't answer the question. :)

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”