cwillocks
Newly Registered

Hydranges dying, can't figure out what to do. : (

My large hydrangea bush is dying back hard. In years prior plant performed beautifully; this is 2nd season that plant sprouts out beautifully in the spring, then by mid june the leaves get brown spots, patches and holes and flowers turn brown and wilt. I don't know what to do, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? I do water it regularly, and like I said earlier, the plant bloomed profusely the first couple years I lived here.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Are you getting the leaves wet when you water? I seem to remember something about hydrangeas' leaves "burning" if they become wet and are still wet when the sun hits them.

Otherwise, I don't know - hopefully someone else knows!

cwillocks
Newly Registered

Grey wrote:Are you getting the leaves wet when you water? I seem to remember something about hydrangeas' leaves "burning" if they become wet and are still wet when the sun hits them.

Otherwise, I don't know - hopefully someone else knows!
actually, yes I am getting the leaves wet. I usually water in the evening, thought. In the future, I will try to bottom water and see if there is any improvement. It is terrible, the bush was so beautiful. I am having guests for the july 4 weekend, and I am sure the bush will be terrible by then. What a shame.

If anyone else has an idea, I would love to hear it.

What is the best time to fertilize, and what kind is best?

I cannot tell you what kind of hydrangea plant it is. Is there a way to post a photo?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yes, you can post a photo by hosting it on imageshack (or someplace else free like that). Copy the URL of the image, start your message here, and click on the "Img" button over the type area. Paste the URL behind it, then hit "Img" again. It will be there when you post. :)

We'll figure out what is wrong with your plant.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/hydrangea/

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”