barefootgardener
Newly Registered

Chiffon Hydrangea

Late last summer I purchased 3 specimen that were bi-colored, 2 purple and white and 1 blue and white. I'd never seen these before, so I snatched them up on sale. The tag called them 'chiffon hydrangea.' I've never been able to find anything of a variety of hydrangea named chiffon, so I'm not exactly sure what I have. I definitely hydrangea, based on the leaves, although they are quite a bit smaller than the leaves on the macro.

I basically just cut these plants into pieces and shipped the pieces but not the rootballs to myself from Baltimore where my son lives. When I got home and received the shipment, I made 4" cuttings out of all the pieces. They rooted easily enough and I put each in a 4" individual pot. The tag also said they were hardy in zone 7 or able, so I wintered the cuttings over in my semi-heated green house.

Having just watered everyting in my greenhouse and brought all the plants out of dormancy, I am happy to note that most of my cuttings are showing green. But I'm still puzzled about what kind of hydrangea I have.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

There are several new bi-color versions in the market now. I do not recognize this one (Chiffon) but it appears to be similar in concept to Mars and Sabrina. All of these are hybrids recently created or sports of Harlequin.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”