Ann Riner
Newly Registered

hydrangea dying-help

my hydrangea's blooms are wilting .............I live in Georgia and I am wondering if I need to water it more?? HELP!!

gjrhine
Newly Registered

Sounds like your plants need to be watered.

Edited by Opabinia51

Grey
Greener Thumb

gjrhine wrote:Here is a clue - hydra in Greek means water.
Please moderate your tone in the future. We try to keep a nice, friendly environment here.

We've had some very hot and windy days here in Georgia - rudeness aside, gjrhine is right in that your plant may need more water. I water my hydrangeas every day. Usually as soon as you see the tips wilting, it's already time to give it some. They bounce back well though.

Whereabouts in GA are you? I'm in the NW corner. :) Welcome to the forum.

Ann Riner
Newly Registered

I live in north georgia, right below Dawsonville. I'm going to be planting a good bit soon........hope everything doesnt die!! :shock:

Grey
Greener Thumb

Oh, we all kill things. :lol:

I work at a garden center one day a week, and a lot of people express concerns about their "black thumbs" as soon as they kill something. But see, plants are not consistent - there is no one forumula that works for every plant, some like to be dry, some like very wet feet, some like water once a day, some like it every two days - it's easy to get confused and mess up. Sometimes you realize it before you kill the plant, and sometimes, what you try to do to help the plant only hastens the end.

Just ask a gardener how many plants he/she has killed over the years. You learn not to get too broken up about it, chop the dead guy up and toss him in your compost heap and hopefully his remains will help the next plant!

I'm just north of Rome.

Ann Riner
Newly Registered

ahhhhhhhhhhh ha ha haha, you made me laugh. My hydrangea is "back in action" today after the water I gave it yesterday.........now I hope the japanese bettles don't get it, they seem to like my cherry tree. Thanks so much for the help.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Neem oil helps with the beetles but they're tough little critters. Mostly so far it's all hand-picking and squishing, and planting things they don't like, such as Dill.

FairyDust
Cool Member

Grey wrote:Oh, we all kill things. :lol:

I work at a garden center one day a week, and a lot of people express concerns about their "black thumbs" as soon as they kill something. But see, plants are not consistent - there is no one forumula that works for every plant, some like to be dry, some like very wet feet, some like water once a day, some like it every two days - it's easy to get confused and mess up. Sometimes you realize it before you kill the plant, and sometimes, what you try to do to help the plant only hastens the end.

Just ask a gardener how many plants he/she has killed over the years. You learn not to get too broken up about it, chop the dead guy up and toss him in your compost heap and hopefully his remains will help the next plant!

I'm just north of Rome.
so true! I've just started gardening again, but I remember I used to kill stuff fairly often. I just follow the directions the best I can and if soemthing dies I see it as a way to try something else! One of my mundstead lavender just died, so I got an english lavender to put in instead. It doesn't look too different from the munstead so it won't stand out in the row unless people know anything about plants. And I'm excited to see which I'll like more, the munstead or the english now. :D

Ann Riner
Newly Registered

thank you for your reply...............I enjoy reading the replys ...... its nice hear people really enjoying the plants and enjoying life. From someone who has never dealt with plants before, it sounds fun, I'm looking forward to enjoying it as much as you guys do!!

Ann Riner
Newly Registered

by the way.............I gotta "squish" the beetles?? ewwwwwwwww, there are usually hundreds in my yard.........ugggggggggggggh. LOL

Grey
Greener Thumb

I guess you could make it fun and use an old nutcracker.

I hate these beetles... squishing them is small satisfaction tho.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the Forum Ann! I'm coming in a bit late on this, but yes, we have all killed many plants as we learn along the way!! I've been gardening for over 25 years, and that's alot of dead plants!! :lol:

Regarding Japanese beetles, which I don't have a problem with (thankfully) because our winters are too cold, there are several tricks to deal with them. You don't have to squish them - big eeewwww! Pick them off by hand, and drop them into a pail of soapy water. They won't survive long. Another way to get them off your plant is to spread an old sheet under the plant, and shake the beetles off to collect them, then into the bucket of soapy water.
Insecticidal soap as well as Neem oil is known to work on them as well.
Plants that Japanese Beetles don't like, and you could plant along side so that they are repelled are catmint, chamomile, garlic, lavender, rosemary, painted daisy, tansy and thyme. To attract the beetles away from your plant, they really like radishes, so plant some radishes away from your plant.
The larvae of the beetle can also be killed with insecticidal soap, Neem oil, garlic water, and milky spore.

Hope this gives you a few things to try. Please do feel free to come back anytime - someone's always here! :wink:

Val

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”