Tyler

From perfect to hopeless?

Hi everyone. I purchased two of those forced bloom hydrangeas from my local home improvement store about 2mo's ago. They were doing fantastic, but 2 days ago I decide to repot them in bigger pots, because they were getting bigger. The blooms of course have always been amazing. They are both endless summer. I put miricle grow potting soil and manure in with them and watered. Yesterday I did not water. I don't know if it's skipping the one day of not watering or I put too much manure in, but today both the plants have completely toppled over (like split in the middle and fell and can't get up). The blooms still look fantastic though. What's going on? I'm a first time gardener and I'm lost. Thanx, Tyler

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If the manure was fresh it may have burned the roots. I heard somewhere that hydrangeas don't like to be transplanted so, you may have just stressed your plants as well.

Tyler

Hmmm, I don't know if it was fresh :roll: I just got it in a bag from Lowes. My husband said he thinks maybe I didn't replant them deep enough and thats why they fell over. So I replanted them deeper :? Tyler

Grey
Greener Thumb

It could also be the lack of water. Hydrangeas are a little on the heavy side as far as being thirsty.

If the manure was from Lowes, it probably isn't the manure that's causing your problem. They're probably just stressed and thirsty.

FairyDust
Cool Member

I put in an endless summer about a month ago. I didn't use manure, I just mixed in mulch with my soil. I was afraid to amend the soil too much and then when the roots start spreading past where the soil was amended it'd be in shock from the poor soil lol. So I dug the hole size the size of the pot, mixed in some mulch in the bottom and around it. Then for about 2 weeks I watered it with a 2 gallon watering container everyday unless it rained since my soil doesn't hold water that well. I also used an organic fish fertilizer right after planting when I watered it. It was a 5-1-1 which I use about weekly on all my plants outside and they are all doing splendidly.

It never got droopy or anything on me. Now I hardly water it, mainly because it has been raining about once a week and the mulch retains water fairly well. Now its starting to bloom. Yay!

ETA: I also put a 2 inch layer of wood mulch over it. It's in my semi-shade garden so the whole garden has a 2 inch layer of wood mulch which helps keep moisture longer since my soil drains really well.
Good luck with it!

Tyler

Grey I water them every day. When I feel them the next day before I water them, the soil is still a little moist. Some of the petals on the blooms are turning brown, but the leaves look fine. I really wish now I didn't move them to a bigger pot :? Tyler

Grey
Greener Thumb

OK, now you have me wondering if you water them too much? If the soil is still moist, it shouldn't need anything more. The only hydrangea that likes boggy soil is the Oakleaf - so don;t let it be that damp & we'll see if that fixes your problem. :(

meesh
Cool Member

Did you happen to do a lot of damage to the roots..or was it super rootbound? Lots of damage to the roots could mean that the plants can't take water up as well. really rootbound plants would need much more water than normal.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”