birdhouse-lady

New baby cuttings are struggling!

I sometimes volunteer to help in a friend's commercial greenhouse on week-ends off and for this I get free plants/cuttings. About a month ago I got two (3") hydrangea cuttings in little 2" peat pots. I have had them in my growhouse and have been watering and tending to them daily. One looks great and the other one looks like it is dying! What do I do now? I'm in zone 8 in Texas.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like repotting is probably in order; try a larger container (don't forget that this is trying to be a four by four shrub...)

HG

birdhouse-lady

Wow! I repotted and watered well and my little plant is happy and growing! I was showing it off to a friend over the week-end and singing the praises of the Helpful Gardener site, when she says it looks like a vibernum to her, not a hydrangea. Does it matter? Do they require different care? Are they related? How do I find out what I have?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Vibernum are frequently confused with Hydrangeas - we had a discussion on here about 9 months ago about "Snowball Bush" (viburnum) often gets called a hydrangea - it was even in a well-known magazine a year ago - where a Snowball Bush was called an Annabelle Hydrangea or vice versa.

There is a difference, mostly in the shape of the leaf. I'll see if I can find that discussion for you. :)

Grey
Greener Thumb

Here is that discussion:
https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=916

birdhouse-lady

Wow! Thanks. that was a lot of information. I think I have a viburnum based on the jagged leaf description. But I know I'm going to have to try an "Endless Summer" hydrangea...if I can find one. It is going to top out at 92 degrees here today. But as soon as my pergola is finished, I'll have a nice cool, semi-shady spot to try one. In the meantime, my little "viburnum" is growing so fast, I may have to re-pot again soon.

Grey
Greener Thumb

To make confusion even greater, there is a new variety of Oakleaf named "Snowball" - our nursery just started carrying them this year. Most Oakleafs have an off-white bloom, Snowball is very white and has a double bloom.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”