siren1024

hydrangea is finally recovering, do I trim damaged leaves?

After moving it (again) and giving it some TLC, it is recovering. I have plenty new growth (starting to blossom even!!) and no scorch on the new stuff. My question is should I trim off the leaves that are split, brown, or otherwise damaged? I am dying to do it if for no other reason than they look awful, but I don't want to do anything that will compromise the plant.

Also, I read somewhere that after it finishes blooming (when is this for an Endless Summer, anyway?) I should cut it way back, all of the canes with the brownish gray bark, all the way to the ground to ensure optimal establishment this fall and better blooms next year. Is this true? I'm afraid I might cut it back too much or otherwise hurt it. I have read that there are 3 varieties of hydrangea considered blue ribbon plants for my area (if protected from too much heat and drought), and it's obvious from looking at other people's that they are incredibly hardy here once established.

So what should I do to get the best possibilities this next year? I have also heard that due to the heat in the area, they usually get best established for summer blooming during the fall.

Any suggestions?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I recently had to transfer two hydrangeas into pots while there was some work being done to the house. When I planted them back, I left the leaves as they were. If the plant determines that it cannot provide enough water to them, they will brown out. I leave that decision to the plant but of course, I am very careful when it comes to the soil moisture. I will try to check it once every two or three days during the summer. Some people prefer to cut some of the leaves off since the plant loat some of the roots and will not be able to support the same amount of leaves as before. The problem with that is that there is no way to know how mant leaves to cut off. So, I just let the plant decide.

After the ES blooms have browned out, feel free to deadhead them. In the South you may have yet another set of blooms in the Fall (if Mother Nature cooperates).

Dried out canes can be cut all the way to the base of the crown if they have NOT leafed out by late May. And no, you do not need the prune ES all the way back unless you are trying to rejuvenate the plant by cutting 1/3 of the stems every year for three years in a row.

Diane
Green Thumb

I would cut off all ugly damaged leaves. I would not cut canes. The ones I have bloom on two year old canes. I found that out the hard way.
Yours may bloom on new canes. You can look it up.
When I planted mine about 15 years ago I didn't keep track of the name and type of plant.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”