tinat
Newly Registered

My hydrangea blooms fall to the ground!?!?!

I have two huge mophead hydrangeas. They look beautiful when they first start to get blooms, but eventually they get too many and they fall over. Almost all my blooms fall to the ground and they do not look as pretty. I love my hydrangeas, but I hate when this happens. Does anyone know what I can do to stop it or help it?

Dad_Roman
Newly Registered

tinat wrote: eventually they get too many and they fall over. Almost all my blooms fall to the ground
don't we all wish we had that problem :D

Your key is in the phrase "too many".

You obviously have more than perfect conditions for your plants. Simple solution is to trim off blooms till the stem can support its own weight.

If you don't wish to trim for whatever reason, get a bag of small bamboo sticks (walmart) and stake them for support.

elabird
Newly Registered

Do the blooms fall to the ground constantly or only during certain times of the day?

My Endless Summer Hydrangea's blooms will fall in very direct sunlight and if I didn't water the previous evening but will pick up with ample watering and once the shade arrives to cool the plant.

If the blooms always fall then I'd take the advice of the previous poster because it seems there is an overabundance of blooms.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Reminds of Hydrangea Annabelle. Suffers from weak stems and large blooms. It is a mess after it rains.

tinat
Newly Registered

It does not matter what time of the day... they always fall over. They are located an area in my yard that has mostly shade. I'm thinking of getting a support stand for my hydrangeas next year, probably something similar to what they use for peonies. I have not yet been able to find one... any suggestions?

Diane
Green Thumb

tinat wrote:It does not matter what time of the day... they always fall over. They are located an area in my yard that has mostly shade. I'm thinking of getting a support stand for my hydrangeas next year, probably something similar to what they use for peonies. I have not yet been able to find one... any suggestions?
Too many flowers is a good problem. :) I found thin green metal poles with a little circle at the top. I use them for all kinds of support problems.
I've found one foot to two feet tall with 3 inch to 8 inch slightly open circle at the top. You don't see them in the garden they blend in.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I saw stuff like that at Walmart several weeks ago. Could be used to prop up some of the weakest stems. Winter is probably THE time to place these contraptions since the leaves have dried out and make the stems and their shapes visible/obvious. The stems should not be this weak, though, so that is strange. Do a soil test to see if you are defficient in phosphorus and pottasium. I would also not prune weak stems; let them get older and stronger instead. By the way, these are suggestions in addition to pruning some of the excess bloomage.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”