marsie80
Newly Registered

Hydrangea leaves turning red

I have a hydrangea that started as an indoor plant, which I moved to an outside planter about 2 years ago. It bloomed very well the first summer, so I put it in a bigger planter, and then the leaves started turning brown at the edges and curling up. I replaced all the soil this winter, thinking perhaps this was the problem. Now, after a long dormant period, it is finally blooming again. The flowers look healthy, but the leaves have all started turning a deep red color at the edges. Any ideas?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hmmm, I think I saw that happen to an Oakleaf Alice that I had (R. I. P.) three years ago, marsie80. While a red color on leaves would be normal for some oakleafs during the Fall, that one had a sliver of red on just 2-3 leaves. The color change also happened too early in the summer to be Fall color-change related... or so I thought at the time.

After a few days or weeks, the sliver of red turned brown. It seemed to affect a few leaves, not all of them. I assumed it was related to the summer at the time. The temperatures had been fluctuating wildly that year because of an incredible amount of rain but, when this happened, the rained had stopped and the temps probably were back to "normal", which means 100s over here. I assumed it was some form of moisture problem; I had turned off the sprinkler due to the excessive amt of rain and forgot to turn it back on as time passed and the temps got warmer. I monitored that for a while and then I forgot all about it.

Leaves turning brown (and curling) usually indicates a watering issue. It is common in the summer months. Curling, by itself, can also be caused by the hydrangea leaf curler insect. Brown spots (especially those occuring away from the edges) by themselves can also be caused by fungal infections.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”