WisteriaLane
Newly Registered

flower heads don't dry properly

Why do the flower heads of my macrophylla don't dry gacefully like on other plants? When spent they wilt miserably and bend down... that doesn't happen to H.quercifolia. Is it a matter of humidity (it's quite humid and I noticed that in mountain areas they look better) or it's just the plant's fault? I think it happens to all my macros though...

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I do not dry hydrangea blooms but people that I know who do this will wait for the blooms to age some more before trying to cut them. It seems they get better results that way. They have expressed similar comments to yours when they prune mac's now. Pruning in August-October seems to limit those problems so they ask me for permission to cut blooms closer to the end of July or some time in August.

Careful with hydrangeas that bloom on old wood starting in July-October. Just cut a few of their blooms instead of all. You may be cutting off next year's blooms.

WisteriaLane
Newly Registered

I didn't make myself clear: I would want my H. flower heads to dry ON the plant so that I could leave them all winter long... this is a plus for the winter garden... but I never manage to do that....it's annoying. Others, especially those who cultivate them at some elevation, have beautiful flowers but it's not just a matter of air moisture I think.... maybe it's my soil or the plants are just 'flawed'... My H.quercifolia has perfect flowers that last forever...

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”