GreenThumbHopeful
Newly Registered

I think my Hydrangea is dead....help!

Hi, my husband bought me a beautiful hydrangea for Valentines and it doesnt seem to be doing well. It is about a foot high in a pot and was flowering. I've had it in our windowsill for indirect light but it has all drooped and I'm not sure what is wrong. I am in Eastern PA - so we are in winter and my window doesnt get hardly any direct sun at all. Is this a lost cause?

Please help....thanks!
Leila

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Window sills are actually not very good for plants because they have extreme temperature differences between day and night. I would suggest moving your plant to an area in your home that recieves sunlight thoughout most of the day. Even better would be to plant your hydrangea outside if you are able to.

Oh and don't overwater your plant either, just have the soil moist and don't let it dry out completely.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Opa, planting outside would be a death sentence now in Eastern Pennsylvania; will be for two or three months...

Other than that Opa's recommendations are good. I suspect the plant has grown too big for it's container; repot in a bigger (two gallon container) with potting soil and a bit of gravel in the bottom for drainage. Plant that in the spring (May or so)...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I should have been more precise with my instructions,

My advice is to move the plant outside, obviously moving it out in the winter wold not be advisable. Thanks for catching that Scott. :wink:

Question: Would it still be a death sentence if the hydrangea were planted outside in the spring? Ie) would winter temperatures kill a Hydrangea if it had a well established root system? (In Pennsylvania?)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep, the cellular structure is nearly succulent on hydrangea and just a little frost does devastating damage. Before freeze date in that neck of the woods would be around May 1st for Philly and add nearly a month up around Matamoros (south to north on the east border). Might resprout; might not. First year transplant I lean toward the latter. Bad idea...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Good to know, thanks for the info Scott.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”