xpoc454

Mophead Hydrangea ?

I was wondering if anyone can confirm that my ailing hydrangea is a mophead hydrangea.
[img]https://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/xpoc454/IM002202.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/xpoc454/IM002203.jpg[/img]

It has multiple green shoots. These shoots seem to dry out at the end of summer and turn into a dried out brown hollow tubes. I believe new shoots start from the roots and not from the dried out portion.

It has at least this year, purple and and blue flowers.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Yes, xpoc545, this is a mophead hydrangea. Hydrangeas are deciduous plants. When they go dormant during the Fall (or winter in warmer locales), the stems' leaves/blooms will dry out. But then, the stems will leaf out again & bloom in the Spring. The exception being when the stems dry out due to severe winter temperatures.

The fact that the stems originate from the crown, instead of leafing out, suggests that the winter temperatures are too cold for the stems or that the variety of hydrangea is not hardy. However, the fact that your hydrangea blooms when the stems originate from the crown suggests that this variety blooms on 'new' wood. It is probably an Endless Summer, Forever & Ever, Penny Mac, David Ramsey type of hydrangea.

The dried out stems can be pruned off at any time but I suggest waiting until the end of May to be sure that the stem(s) are not just late leafing out. If unsure that they are dried out, feel free to start pruning from the top in 1 or 2" increments; stop when you get 'green' or when you get to the bottom of the stem.

One last note... the hydrangea on your photograph will probably get big. Check the plant label that came with the shrub to get some idea. If you do not have it, assume a size at maturity of AT LEAST 4x4. Size at maturity means in 10 years. This suggests that the hydrangea is planted too close to the rhododendron seen on your photograph.

Luis

xpoc454

Yep, that makes since. These plants, both the rhodoendrum and hydrangea are at least 19 years old. I moved into the house 12 years ago and the people before us lived 7 years before that. They were both there before either of us.
The hydrangea in the past has been huge. But I think last year my wife cut it back a lot and apparently not enough on the rhododendrum. I plan on bringing the dendrum back harsh this year to get our sidewalk back. Ive read they can be cut back pretty harshly and normally grow back very well.
Ive alsso thought about trying to move the hydrangea a little over but now I think the crown of roots might be huge.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”