ThelmaH
Newly Registered

Hydrangeas drying out

I have two Mophead Hydrangeas, I have transplaned them from the plant store into larger pots. I now find that whilst the outsides of the plant are doing well and are well hydrated, the very middle of the plant is bone dry when tested with a waster meter, and no matter how long I direst the water to the middle of the plant, it will not accept the water and stays dry. What is wrong and can anyone help me before my lovely plants die
Thamer1@telus.net

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Place the plant, container and all, into a bucket or other large container. Fill the bucket with water up to the brim of the plant container. If the plant container wants to float, you can weight it down with a couple of rocks. Let the plant soak in the water for about 20 to 30 minutes. That should be plenty of time for the root ball to become saturated with water. :)

If the plant containers are too large to fit in a bucket, you can put them in your bathtub, a utility room sink, or any kind of container. Just make sure it's deep enough to allow the plant containers to be submerged up to their brims in water.

ThelmaH
Newly Registered

Thank you for your help.I have already tried that, but the centre of the plant remains dry. I tried pushing a stick into the centre of the plant and it seems to be rock solid. Whatever is wrong with it. It looked quire healthy when we bought it, but is deteriorating rapidly

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Did you try soaking it in warm water? Warm water sometimes penetrates better than cold water.

As a last ditch effort, you could remove it from the pot, wash all the soil off the roots, and replant it in all new soil. I can't predict whether your hydrangea will survive such extreme treatment this time of year, but it might be worth a try. It appears that you believe you may lose the plant if it remains as it is.

Another alternative would be to return them to the nursery where you purchased them and request an exchange or refund. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

ThelmaH
Newly Registered

Thank you so much. Your suggestions are very helpful. Thank goodness for kind people like you
Yours Thelma

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”