The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'

This one was intro'd two years ago and didn't get a lot of press, but now that green flowers are getting hot this one is getting second looks. You should check it out too...

Grey
Greener Thumb

I just bought two of 'em! :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nice choice; I'm interested to hear how they work for you as the season progresses...

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

I *think* I am going to place them in the front yard near the house, which gets all morning sun and the earliest bit of afternoon. That's 5-6 hours, but a gentle 6, really. Most of the front yard gets full sun, I could arrange them near a tree that has been cropped on the lower half, and they would get filtered sun all morning, then a stong afternoon to evening sun from 1pm on.

Thoughts?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds perfect; these will do nicely in full or partial sun and you're giving it the best of both. No late watering (to keep off the leaf spot) and you'll be fine. If you like that one, there is a dwarf named 'Little Lamb' more suitable for borders and the like (4' x4'), and another 'The Swan' has the BIGGEST flowers I've ever seen on a paniculate hydrangea... :shock:

Grey
Greener Thumb

hmmm - I'm going to see if my garden center can get me some of those. :)

zana220
Newly Registered

Where do you get one of those?

Grey
Greener Thumb

I was just going to ask my garden center if they could order me some.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Best thing to do...

murtie
Newly Registered

I bought limelight in the spring also. I specifically placed it in my 'side bed' to add some light to a dark area of my property. It gets only morning light and is doing wonderfully. My only complaint is that the heads are so heavy that a couple of them droop to the ground (maybe that'll improve once it's an older plant??) Other than that, it is proving to be everything it said it would be, I can't wait to see it in full fall colour. :D
great site!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Murtie!

Give a good hard prune this fall; right back to last years wood. Then in spring, trim the new shoots back in half (no later than May or so). This will cause the remaining stem to get woody faster and the soft tissue will take a while to catch up. You'll get a tighter plant with more blooms on stronger wood!

8)

Scott

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”