ColdGrower
Newly Registered

How to increase Hydrangea Blooms

Hi. I am a very novice gardener, but I love flowers. I live in a condo in Michigan and mistakenly planted 3 hydrangeas in a 7 foot bed. They were very small potted starters last year and did nothing. This year they have sprung to life and they are huge and leafy, but only 3 blooms on one of the plants. Should I try to transplant the one in the middle to give more room? If so, how and when? Any other suggestions? They are obviously healthy, but may not stay that way for next year. Thanks!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If they aren't 'Endless Summer' hydrangea, you were lucky to see blossoms at all. Most big leaf hydrangeas are Zone 5 at best, and not bud hardy there most of the time. Those are probably florists plants you are talking about, so the chances of them flowering regularly are nil in your neck of the woods without special consideration (piling snow on them should work fine, but tips need to be covered).

As for the spacing, you might get a bit of a hedge affect, so leave it for now as it wouldn't be a problem for a year or three...

HG

ColdGrower
Newly Registered

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure if they are "Endless Summer" or not. They came from a mail order nursery, as a gift. I see hydrangeas in bloom (heavy) all around this area, so I figured it was something I was doing wrong.

The spacing may be an issue sooner. The flower bed is right up against the wall of my house. I don't know if they have room to grow properly.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah, as a designer I HATE those narrow litlle spaces builders leave along walkways; USELESS! :evil:

Wait until fall if you do move them...

ColdGrower
Newly Registered

Indeed they are. Would you suggest moving the one from the middle of the group, or one of the ends. And how should I handle it? I obviously don't want to damage the plant.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Wait until spring, methinks, then dig before it breaks, taking as much soil as you can with the ball.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It's always a good idea to put some well rotted manure in the hole that you dig and to dig a whole that is twice as deep and 2X the diameter of the root ball. You can fill the hole to proper depth with some manure and leaf mulch.
As you are filling the dirt in around the plant, place a few shovel fulls of manure/leaf mulch around the plant as well. This will give your plant some nice healthy soil to grow in and lots of space for the roots to grow.

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”