Nogol

Planted a Ginger Root - Will it Grow?

Hey guys,
I found a ginger root in my cupboard the other day that had whwat looked like a new gigner root growth on it's side, so I carefully peeled it away and planted it in my garden. I live in Vancouver, BC in Canada. It just rained a lot but is pretty warm...anybody know if it's going to grow? Or if there is anything I should be doing to promote the growth?

RST
Newly Registered

I've planted ginger root and had it grow nicely. Be patient, and just let it be for a while. If I recall correctly, it was several months before mine sprouted, but the foliage was very pretty and had a pleasant scent.

RST

Rikesh

if it sprouted, it means that you can put it into soil!!!
it will grow. the ginger is ready when its leaves fall.
but, if you don't want to harvest it, just leave it buried, it will sprout again, getting bigger and bigger. :wink:

superfleurs

I just joined today, so a bit late here. I'm just wondering whether ginger is cold sensitive? I've brought mine indoors this year as I have had others die on me after leaving them outdoors all winter. :cry:

knight_47

I've threw a ginger root/bulb I got from the store once into a cup of water, and it never sprouted any roots. does anyone know if the root/bulb NEEDS any roots before it can be planted?? I've never seen them with roots at the store. I'd love to have a ginger plant.

Rikesh

Ginger root, not bulb. :wink:
Well... Did it rot in the water? You don't have much to do with it. Just put it in some soil and water it regularly. It will grow. But I don't think soaking it in water will help.

superfleurs

:lol: The reason that you don't see roots on them is because that IS the root. :wink:

damethod

Actually, although it is referred to as Ginger root, the edible portion is called a rhizome. The rhizome does indeed sprout roots in the soil. When you dig it up, you will need to clean, scrape, peel, and boil it.

I've never grown it myself, so I'm basing my comments regarding ginger harvest on what I have read.

Being that the ginger you buy at the store is a piece of rhizome, I cannot say for sure that it will grow. Banana rhizomes should be cut away from the mother only when they have an independent root system. Otherwise, they will not grow.

ALso, commercial producers add chemicals to potatoes to keep them from sprouting roots. What's to say they don't do the same to ginger?

superfleurs

ALso, commercial producers add chemicals to potatoes to keep them from sprouting roots. What's to say they don't do the same to ginger?
You may be right about this, at least in the US. Here in France, however, I see little buds on the grocery store rhizomes. That is why I planted one and have been growing it for 2 years now.

Since it still is not very large, I've never harvested it, however, thus never verified it's root growth, I'll admit. :)

Welcome to the forum, Courtney, and Happy New Year! Have you introduced yourself on the "Introduce Yourself" thread?

Rikesh

yeah.. just keep it and it will grow bigger each year.
Yes Courtney, the leaves are beautiful.

Ria

Ginger will take about 8-9 months to mature. I have been replanting from each crop for the past 5 years. I used some from the store the first time around and left some on the kitchen counter they sprouted in spring and grew and dried down by December. If you plant in a pot you can take in doors when it gets too cold, it will last in the pot and resprout if not harvested. I got some the size of those from the store for my Caribbean Christmas drink. Ginger likes shade and not too much water. If planted in the ground they do quite well as they have more space to put out those underground rhizomes. Can be used in teas, (great for stomach discomfort), used in chinese and indian cooking, and blended with fruits for a lovely tropical drink.. example: Pine apple ginger drink .

Happy growing.

Jalopy19
Cool Member

What is the cold tolerance of ginger?

Ria

Ginger will not survive frost but if planted in spring, will be ready for harvest before the frost. Harvesting after the leaves get dried is ideal but if you have early frost you may go ahead and harvest if growing it out in the ground. If its in a pot you can take indoors and harvest at your own pace. You can peel and freeze, it grates easily when frozen, or you can peel and store in the fridge in left over wine for use in cooking.

GardenLisa

If you want to grow ginger from a rhizome you got at the grocery store, make sure it's organic. That way you know there won't be any chemical growth retardants on it.

Rikesh

it isn't quite necessary... I don't think that they will put growth retardants on the ginger.. :?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

In frost areas a pot with a few rhizomes should bring you through the winter indoors, but rea is correct; new starts are a good idea in spring. You can just keep a pot or if you have space, throw some in the ground when soil temps get in the 50's (think basil time), As long as you don't use too much over the year and restart plants as you go, you should have some left for your pot for next winter. Harvest as needed; never pay for the stuff again...

I'd use organic to start my plants; Asian markets would be a great bet, but just about every market is getting this plant now. As you get good you can find exotic types with better flowers and foliage...

HG

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”