mbaker410

Basil is Pale Green

My basil seems to be on the lighter green side, is this normal or is it not getting the right nutrients?

I grew a bunch of basil and the basil that I did not plant is at my moms house and all of that seems to be a darker green.

Is this nitrogen?

Jess
Greener Thumb

More likely to be a lack of light (likes it very sunny) or overwatering. Basil doesn't need much in the way of food.

mbaker410

Well it sits in direct sun all day for the most part. I will try not watering it for a while until is starts to wilt and see if the color comes back.

Thanks,

Mike

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It might just be the variety. I used to grow a lot of basil, and the lettuce-leaved type was always a lighter green than the other types, even though they were planted side by side.

mbaker410

Kisal,

That is what I was thinking at first until I went back to my moms house where the other basil is and they are all a good med-dark green. There are differences between the two though.

Mine is planted in potting soil and a little starter mix combo. The others are planted in a very shallow "garden dirt" mix consisting of composted manure, top soil, peat moss and the dirt from my yard.

I have not watered the basil in a day or two and it seems to be getting some color back. I will check after work today.

Thanks

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”