Toms92gp

Best Soil mix for herbs?

I'm going to be making a raised herb bed some time soon, Mostly for perrenial herbs. I was wondering if any one has any recomendations for what kid of soil I should use. I know in general they like well drained soil. I was think of mixing standard topsiol with little bit of peatmoss to improve drainage a little. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

praying mantis
Cool Member

I have a recently turned bed that could be a herb garden but will probably be a shrub/annuals garden. The backyard might become my herb garden. I am undecided. I will be adding compost and digging in 10 inches. Mostly I responded to keep your topic current, so you could get some knowledgable advice and I could, too. Good luck.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Toms92gp wrote: I was wondering if any one has any recomendations for what kid of soil I should use.
It really depends on what herbs you want to grow. Some prefer poor free draining soil but others grow better in moisture retentive, richer soil.
Peatmoss is not really necessary. Far better to use a composted manure mixed with topsoil. Do not overdo the manure as you will get a better flavour if the soil is not too rich. Add grit, gravel for the Mediteranean herbs (lavender, rosemary, oregano etc.) as well as annuals like dill as they will not tolerate sitting in wet soil and leave an area that is more moisture retentive for herbs like chives, coriander (cilantro), mint, angelica and lovage. Remember if planting mint to contain it. A large container sunk in the ground works best.

Toms92gp

Thanks for the help. I'll probalby just us a good topsoil mix then. I made my raised bed out of stone, so I'll plant the stuff like oregano near the edges since I know it likes the reflected heat of stone. I'm planing on Planting Oregano, sage, maybe mint, Catnip for my kitty cat, thyme, maybe a few others but I'm not sure yet.

damethod

I used a bag of Miracle-Gro Organic choice dirt especially for tomatoes, herbs, and vegetables. Everything is growing great.

It might be cheaper to buy top soil and composted cow manure(doesn't smell) and work it together though.

I appreciate all the input I've received on this site. I'm learning more and more everyday. The single most important thing I've learned is actually Opabinia's signature.."feed the soil, not the plants" If it wasn't for you guys, I'd ignore all the organic choices and go for the fertilizers that promise bigger and better crops!

Toms92gp

damethod wrote:I used a bag of Miracle-Gro Organic choice dirt especially for tomatoes, herbs, and vegetables. Everything is growing great.

It might be cheaper to buy top soil and composted cow manure(doesn't smell) and work it together though.

I appreciate all the input I've received on this site. I'm learning more and more everyday. The single most important thing I've learned is actually Opabinia's signature.."feed the soil, not the plants" If it wasn't for you guys, I'd ignore all the organic choices and go for the fertilizers that promise bigger and better crops!
Its pretty small so I could probably do that, 5 or 6 50 lb bags would fill it up probably

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Mediteranean herbs (Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme, Oregano) also like lime and calcium--you can mulch with crushed oystershell, which is available at feed stores (it's given to chickens as grit).

For my herb bed, I have a mixture of potting soil and gravel, to improve drainage, for the Mediterranean herbs. The Basil, I grow in containers, because it likes a richer, moister soil. I also grow Chives in containers, mainly to contain them. Mint also likes a rich, moist soil . . . not waterlogged, but mint appreciates pleny of water. In Oregon, where Mint is grown commercially, the temperature around the mint fields during the summer is always cooler than the surrounding grass fields, just because the mint is irrigated more--not important to the discussion here . . . just a stray memory!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Garden Spider wrote: I also grow Chives in containers, mainly to contain them.
I never have much luck with them in containers. They grow so fast that they always seem to be starved whereas in the ground they grow bigger and greener. Any tips for in pots?

Jess
Greener Thumb

damethod wrote: The single most important thing I've learned is actually Opabinia's signature.."feed the soil, not the plants" !
Yes! I couldn't agree more.
It is the most important part of growing anything and so often completely overlooked!

Toms92gp

Garden Spider wrote:Mediteranean herbs (Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme, Oregano) also like lime and calcium--you can mulch with crushed oystershell, which is available at feed stores (it's given to chickens as grit).

For my herb bed, I have a mixture of potting soil and gravel, to improve drainage, for the Mediterranean herbs. The Basil, I grow in containers, because it likes a richer, moister soil. I also grow Chives in containers, mainly to contain them. Mint also likes a rich, moist soil . . . not waterlogged, but mint appreciates pleny of water. In Oregon, where Mint is grown commercially, the temperature around the mint fields during the summer is always cooler than the surrounding grass fields, just because the mint is irrigated more--not important to the discussion here . . . just a stray memory!
My parents give there Hens oyseter shell, it helps promote stronger shelled eggs, which then the put the crushed eggshells in the garden. Its going to be mediterranean herbs I'm groing mostly. I'll probably do some mint but it will be in a container sunk in the ground, My dad has some that got out of hand, its taking over his lawn in spots now.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”