Cuke

How do I dry dill?

My dill is almost ready to be harvested whole (most of the stem excluding the root unless it's faster to dry with it and also the dill heads where the seeds are).So my question is,how do I dry whole dill?I tried it in the past but mold grew on them so I had to throw them out.

I have a bunch of dill so I could experiment a couple of different ways if need be.

Roger

---One way is to hang the plant by the stem [don't leave it on the root, it will take a lot longer to dry if you do ] upside down in a shaded, breezy area for about three days, until the stems and dill sprigs feels crispy and easy to crumble. This is easier when the humidity isn't very high.
---Another way is in the oven, about 110 F for 6-8 hours. If you have a gas oven, you can just leave them inside the oven on trays all day with only the heat from the pilot light.

Anyway you do it, dried herbs won't last very long on the shelf unless you have some way of keeping them airtight. If they are not completely dry when you store them they will mold.

applestar
Mod

Haven't tried it with dill, but with basil, I food process with some olive oil, then freeze tablespoon dollops on parchment paper. I actually do the same with pesto. Once they're frozen solid, I wrap them in the parchment paper (so as not to let them touch the plastic) and put them in ziplock freezer bags. This way, I thaw recipe amount at a time.

I imagine you could do the same with dill. Process with oil OR water, depending on how you plan to use them. If processed with water, you may want to freeze them in ice cube trays.

This year, I want to try freezing mint in fun ice cube shapes (I have stars and hearts) to add to drinks.

Cuke

Thanks you two.I'm using them for pickling my cucumbers once they are harvested which won't be for another 3 weeks or so.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I just rinse with water, tamp it dry with some paper towel and leave it to dry on some towels.

Jess
Greener Thumb

I Just pick the softer herbs like dill put them into an ice cube tray and add water. The cubes can be added straight to your dishes from the freezer.
Dill can lose a lot of its flavour if dried.

Roger

Another point to make is that if you harvest some of the drying parts of the dill now, sort of pruning it a bit, it may have enough time to put on some additional growth between now and when you will be ready for pickling the cucumbers. Fresh dill is best for pickling, as Jess pointed out.

Cuke

Hm,I might just prune my dill and add it to a soup or something then.I'll dry a few and prune the rest.Thanks again everyone for your help.

Cuke

Hm,I might just prune my dill and add it to a soup or something then.I'll dry a few and prune the rest.Thanks again everyone for your help.

Digthedirt

I wonder how Dill would react if I cut off the flower head? Would it give the plant a longer life? Would I still have Dill when the pickling cukes are ready?
We had a lovely green and yellow stripe caterpillar on one Dill plant and I was so anxious to see him become a Swallowtail butterfly, but today he is gone. Supper for a bird no doubt! :cry:

Jess
Greener Thumb

Not much longer. It does the same as fennel. Even with the heads chopped off it slowly loses vigour and will start to die back. I plant over a long period of time to have fresh to use as long as possible. I planted the last lot a week ago and it is already up a couple of inches!

Digthedirt

Mine re seeds it's self and there is new Dill coming in now.

Niesha

Digthedirt wrote:Mine re seeds it's self and there is new Dill coming in now.
I have been pruning my dill (lost my cucs to a hail storm this year) and making tuna salad and dilled carrots ect... but if I leave the dill in the ground it will seed itself?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Yes it will. I collect some seed and leave others to seed naturally to extend my growing season. At present some are mature and others that I recently scattered ( I don't even plant!) are no more than two/three inches high.

Digthedirt

Yes, mine reseeds it's self where ever it falls.

Snippy

I have never grown dill before. I've often thought about doing pickles but we're not really into dill pickles. Any other recipe ideas beside Tuna and dilled carrots? Not much would be needed, I imagine. Can the whole plant be used? I have used dried dill weed before and I do not even know how to get the end results of that from a fresh plant. I think it's the feathery part, when I think about it. :?
Has anyone grown it in the garden for simply added appeal? I enjoy giving gifts from the garden...maybe part of a herb garden arrangement. :idea:) Tie it with a green ribbon.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”