cheshirekat

A Better Salad

I can't say this enough. If you are growing herbs, try some in your salad. I am growing different kinds of leaf lettuce and a lot of herbs. Today, with my romaine and radicchio, I had lime basil, sweet basil, columnar basil, variegated basil, sage, oregano, and Texas Tarrigon herbs. My salad was fantastic. Can't wait to have some salad with home grown tomatoes and a bunch of my herbs.

Roger

A very small pinch of mint is good in a salad too, especially with a vinegar based dressing :)

cheshirekat

I've had a few people suggest mint in my salad and I am definitely planning to try some. I have about seven types of mint (all in pots to tame their invasiveness) to sample. I passed up some orange mint today that I'm already regretting. I think I'll have some salad with mint and dill to go with my leftover pizza.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Mustards are great for salads as well! But, I love basil in a salad and mint is really nice as well.

cheshirekat

Just finished my salad with some curly mint, grapefruit mint, texas tarragon, sweet basil and olive oil. Very tasty. Didn't have any vinegar dressing of any kind. May have to get some when I go to the grocery store this week. I'm just so used to plain EVOO so I can taste every bit of my herbs that I haven't bought anything else in quite a while.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Sounds yummy! I also like to add young squash blossoms and nasturtium pedals to may salads. Great tasting! I'll have to try some of the fresh herbs once mine get some size.

damethod

try this recipe..

salad
one bunch of arugula
one bunch of mint
one package soy beans(edamame) ((about 12 0z)
1/4 to 1/2 cup of fresh grated parmigiano regiano

chop arugula and mint into 1/2 inch thick strips. combine with cooked soy beans and grated cheese. drizzle dressing over salad.

dressing
3 Tblspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
drizzle olive oil to emulsify(b/w 2 and 3 tablespoons)

combine vinegar and sugar and whisk to combine. add oil while whisking until desired consistensy.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”