damethod

GROWING MINT IN CONTAINER

Can I grow Mint in a container?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It may be the only safe way to grow it; mint can become invasive, as it spreads by root runners.

I have some in a large (14-inch?) container with parsley and they're battling it out.

Enjoy!

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
(USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17)

damethod

Thanks. I actually asked because I had read some other posts about how invasive it is.

I,m going to buy a large pot and divide it in two by placing a piece of wood in the middle. Then fill with dirt and plant Mint on one side, then oregano and dill on the other.

Is there any problem with having oregano and dill in the same space?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't think so. I've never grown dill, though, so I can't speak from experience. Dill reproduces from its seeds, as does oregano. A divider to protect these two from the mint might be a good idea!

Have fun...

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

aqh88
Cool Member

The mint will find a way to use the whole pot eventually. Square board+round pot=gaps. I've seen it creep through tiny cracks in the sidewalk to escape into the yard. It might work this year but by next year the mint will probably start laying claim to the whole thing so don't plan on it longterm. You'll need a seperate pot for your other herbs eventually. Personally I'd plant 2 varieties of mint in the pot with the divider. Then both plants will compete evenly. Common spearmint would probably outgrow any pot you have but there are tons of varieties of peppermint and mentha citrata out there. I have lemon and orange and I've seen chocolate.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha[/url]

Jess
Greener Thumb

and I have chocolate mint....yummy! :D
aqua is right. It will take over from the dill and oregano. I would use two pots personally. Whatever you do make sure the pot is bucket shaped so that you can easlily slide the mint out to repot as after a year or so you will have to repot it is that vigorous!

damethod

Ok, I'm taking your advice and planting it in a seperate container. I bought a 12" bowl shaped container for the mint. I still have to go and buy the Mint though. Anyways, is this an adequate sized pot?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Sounds big enough. It really depends how much you want to have to hand to eat and how often you want to repot. I always find the hardest part is throwing away the piece I don't want each year. I cannot give anymore to my neighbours and I dare'nt put it in the compost heap. I hate killing a useful plant but that is all I can do now.
As for the shape, when you say 'bowl shaped' just make sure the neck is not narrower than the sides of the pot or you will need to take a serrated knife to the mint next year to get it out. The roots tend to spiral around the outer edge of the pot making it difficult to get out. I tip mine out, unfurl it, throw away the dead or weak middle, then cut it in half, fold it up and stick it back in the pot.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”