Daveglasgow70
Newly Registered

What is this Herb - Smells Like Thyme?

Hi

This has grown from a mixed packet of herb seeds. I'm not sure what it is.

Thyme was in the packet, bigger pot pictured, but this one smells very much like thyme as well.

Any ideas what this is?

Many thanks.
Attachments
20220722_175629.jpg
20220722_175620.jpg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

That looks like something in the oregano genus - Origanum - of which there are a number of, some smelling like thyme, or a mix of thyme and other herbs. I grow marjoram, which has some thyme aroma, and another called Syrian Oregano, which is also called thyme scented oregano, and it has a very strong thyme aroma. However, the seeds from that have not been viable for me, and I only got it from cuttings. Another that is available in seeds, that is supposed to have a strong thyme scent is Zaatar, though I didn't have luck germinating that, from a seed pack I got from Baker Creek, and it's not cheap, like marjoram, which seems more like what they would put in a misc. seed pack.

I let that Thyme Scented Oregano grow as a weed behind my shed! Here's a close-up, and one showing the flowers. Marjoram looks about the same.
ImageThyme scented oregano by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThyme scented oregano, showing flowers, though I removed most of them. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Daveglasgow70
Newly Registered

Hi

Many thanks for the reply.

That makes a lot of sense.

There was oregano in the pack, but I've never worked with the herb before. So, I'm not that familiar with it.

The pictures and videos I googled of oregano, seemed a bit different to mine.

Many thanks for you help

David

imafan26
Mod

The herb on the left in your picture is thyme (probably English thyme by the size of the leaves).

The one on the right looks like Italian oregano. It is still young, so it depends on how the leaves change. Greek oregano has wider leaves and a more prostrate growth habit. Marjoram is also closely related to oregano. There is also Mexican thyme and Mexican oregano that is actually in the verbena family. Lippia micromera (Mexican thyme), and Lippia graveolens (Mexican oregano) These are unlikely to be in a normal seed packet.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”