Conner300
Newly Registered

How do I dry my herbs without killing them entirely?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to figure this out. So I have grown some thyme and I did what I thought I was supposed to do which was bunch it all together with some twine and hung it from a hook I have on my kitchen ceiling. 2 days later and the thyme is completely dead and doesn't look fit for consumption. When I look at youtube, I see people doing that, but I also see people using salad spinners, ovens, dehydrators, and even a sauna. So is there one tried and true method of drying the herbs properly and if so, will one of you kind souls please share it?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what you mean by not killing the herbs when drying them - once totally dried, they will all be dead! And I can't imagine what would make thyme inedible after 2 days, unless they are too tight packed. Thyme, marjoram, oreganos, and mints can dry like you described, or spread out on cooling racks, and usually dry out at room temp; the only problem can be in terrible humidity. If you have a dehydrator, set it at about 100° - this will dry them well, but not remove their aroma with a lot of heat. Thyme, marjoram, and oreganos easily strip off their stems - I just rub them lightly between my hands, then pull away the empty stems, and store the herbs in a glass jar.

I can see what would make dried basil look inedible, but that's because I don't use dried basil, since there is nothing like fresh! Same with many others, but nothing like basils.

Conner300
Newly Registered

My thyme leaves looked wilted and dead, kind of like a flower that was left in the sun for too long. It looked nothing like the thyme leaves I've seen in multiple videos. I don't have a dehydrator, so I might have to try drying them in the oven on my next batch. I live in Arizona, so the one thing I know for certain is that it isn't a humidity problem since we have none here.

applestar
Mod

I think we need to hear what you did exactly to assess the issue….

But going over the basics —

1. Harvest best looking stems from healthy herb plants on dry day when it hasn’t rained for a couple of days
2. Use sharp scissors to cut the stems rather than breaking them off so the lower leaves are not mangled
3. Inspect and trim off any leaves that you wouldn’t want to eat
4. I always rinse all my harvests in water — jetted into bucket or tub deep enough for them to float in, and pour off any floaters, then lift out by loose handfuls, leaving mid-depth floaters and dinking debris in the bucket. Rinse in three changes of water (using a 2nd bucket is easiest)
5. herbs for drying are immediately drained well in colander or drip dried on a cookie/cake cooling rack, then patted dry then spread out loosely until all surface moisture is gone (prevents mold)
6. Inspect final time
7. For easy to dry ones like thyme, rosemary, lavender, sage, dill, mint, oregano, marjoram, etc., I bunch with rubber band and hang upside down (I wrap into posies with paper towel or with a brown paper lunch bag to protect from dust) where there is no direct sun in well ventilated air movement room

imafan26
Mod

The rubber band is what I use too. When I use string, the bunches fall when they shrink. My humidity is too high to air dry herbs completely. They don't exactly dry, they get moldy especially if they are bunched up. I can partially dry them, but usually I still have to finish them in the oven or in a dehydrator.

For the most part I grow fresh herbs because I want to use them fresh. I just go out and pick the herbs when I need it. It tastes very different from dried herbs.

I usually make an herb butter with more delicate herbs like basil, chives, and parsley. I usually add garlic to the herb butter. They keep in the freezer for about 6 months formed into a tube and wrapped in plastic wrap and foil. I just cut off a round when I need it.

Rosemary, thyme are perennials and they are bitter herbs so I usually use fresh sprigs when I roast vegetables, or meats. Fresh rosemary thrown onto charcoal creates rosemary smoke and it is one of my favorite ways to BBQ chicken (marinade the chicken in zesty Italian dressing overnight) Grill it in a smokey joe with the fresh rosemary thrown on the coals and then covered.

I usually use mints for teas, so and I always have that on hand and I have lemons and limes either fresh or I have frozen some juice as well. I just can't tell which ones are lemon or lime until I use it. They look alike in the freezer.

I always keep ginger, hot chilies, lemon grass, and kaffir lime trees so I can make Thai dishes. I also have to keep coconut milk in the pantry or freezer as well. Frozen coconut milk is better than canned, but canned is easier to store and find.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”