spencerl
Newly Registered

Is it too late to plant basil and cilantro?

It is middle of May and I was wondering if it was too late to plant herbs like basil and/or cilantro.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Nope, it's just right. I'm doing my most of my herbs in containers this year. I want to be able to bring them in during the winter, so I can still use them for cooking. Beside they smell sooooooooooo good! LOL

poke

I don't know about basil from seed, cause I have just bought the already grown plants...but cilantro will grow really well! I planted some a few weeks ago and its already about 4 inches tall! bushy and super healthy! :) enjoy your delicious herbs!

Grey
Greener Thumb

of course my cilantro died and I'm having to try again, but my basils are all doing super well! Good luck!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just bought my first basil plant of the year to go with my first tomatoe plants of the year yesterday. I've had mixed results when starting it from seed but, nope; it's not to late to start.

I am very late in my seed starts (Tomatoes, eggplant and melons) I usally start them in February but this year... well, I started my first two flats of tomatoes a week ago and my last flat of tomatoes, et al last night. So, your not the only one who's late this year!

Have fun and let us know about your results! Plus any tips you might have for others.

Opabinia :)

damethod

I think you'll be fine if you plant them now. Basil and Cilantro seem to be very hardy plants. I planted them for the first time earlier this year and am amazed by how large and how quickly they've grown.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”