aqh88
Cool Member

Marjoram

On a bit of a whim while looking for mints and thyme varieties I picked up a marjoram origanum today and it's looking very droopy now. I was told they aren't very cold hardy and it was only 50F today, the plants were probably put out yesterday, so I was hoping now that it's back inside it would recover but it's looking worse as the day goes on. Should I take it out from under the lights? Does it just need more time to recover? Also when can I put it outside? The forecast is 40-50s at night for the next week. The tag says annual so that means it won't over winter here? How much light does it need indoors?

[url]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/garden/SANY0142.jpg[/url]
[url]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/garden/SANY0145.jpg[/url]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Have you been watering your marjoram?

It needs direct sunlight, a small growlight will work for now. Move it out after the last frost. My marjoram has been growing outside for years. In winter we can go down to -10 C. So, if that's an indication

aqh88
Cool Member

I just got it today so I haven't watered it but someone suggested it might be too wet so I dumped it out of the pot to get a better look. Water ran out of the soggy soil and the roots are grey and look somewhat rotted. I put it in a slightly larger pot and packed some dry peat moss around it for now.[/I]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, that could be part of your problem right there. Peat moss is actually not good to use for several reasons:

a) It is nearly impossible to wet peat moss even if the top and bottom of the peat is soaked the center may be bone dry

b) Peat contain no available nutrients for your plants

c) the harvesting of peat from peat bogs is an environmental nightmare.

Anyway, you were right to repot your plant by use some potting soil instead of peat and don't starve your plant of water, just keep the soil moist.

Keep it away from any windowsills, the temperature changes between night and day are often drastic and can really stress plants.

Before you move the plant outside, harden it off by taking outside for a few hours each day and in at night for about a week before planting.

Enjoy your Marjoram, it is a lovely herb. I cam across a two varieties of marjoram in a garden that I am currently working on last week!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”