TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Something's eating my basil and making me mad.

I think it's mice. I inspected the plants and saw no bugs, just a bunch of poop. That's disgusting, I don't want to eat something a mouse crawled on, licked on and pooped on!! I HATE mice!! :evil:

What safe thing can I spray on my basil that will deter the mice, but will wash off easy when ready to eat it?
Or should I go ahead and pick what's left of my basil? Can you freeze basil?
Attachments
IMG_20200703_091056.jpg
IMG_20200703_091116.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Anyone, please? Does this look like mouse poop?

applestar
Mod

I think they look like treefrog poop. They are probably EATING whatever it is that are eating the basil — probably slugs or armyworms?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am no poop expert but mouse poop is shaped like grains of rice. The poop in your picture is pointed on both ends. I don't think a mouse can climb a basil leaf without leaving claw marks they climb like cats. Maybe different breads of mice have different shape poop. I spilled corn on the garage floor mice left many grains of black rice. I put seeds very high up on shelves mice had no trouble eating them too & more black rice with round ends.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I doubt mice. they'd have to be sitting on the leaf to drop so much poop on it, and they're small, but not that small. the actual damage suggests chewing invertebrates, whether slugs or insects.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

As a matter of fact, I have been seeing another outbreak of armyworms, but I know that's not their poop. Well if it's not nice, then I'm guessing it might be grasshopper or crickets.

Can basil leaves be frozen? I may just go ahead and harvest what good leaves are left. Or make a giant batch of basil spaghetti or pizza. If not, maybe I could spray hot pepper spray but I'm afraid it might cause a flavor change to the basil. I don't want hot basil.....

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

We do freeze galic leaves. They lose some of their bright green color but taste just fine. Maybe there's a blanching process that would preserve the color if that's an issue.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Nah, color wouldn't bother me. Just as long as they tasted fine. 😉

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Frozen & thawed Basil leaves have the right flavor but they're wilted, wet & floppy, so only good for adding to dishes you're cooking. They wouldn't be very pleasant to eat 'fresh'.

applestar
Mod

...I sometimes wonder people don’t read my posts? Or maybe I’m being politely ignored or contradicted? :> :()
applestar wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 pm
I think they look like treefrog poop. They are probably EATING whatever it is that are eating the basil — probably slugs or armyworms?

...Once I learned these below were treefrog poop, I have seen many in the garden under various conditions that are recognizably treefrog poop. They come out “pointy” under ...let’s say... wetter conditions. Treefrogs range in size from my thumbnail - probably men’s fingernail - size on up.

Subject: 2015-2016 Winter Indoor (Tomatoes, etc.) Garden
applestar wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:15 pm
I was starting to see THESE on the leaves of two avocados by the Green Room window.

...the first time I saw one, I thought it was a mouse turd, but was confused because the kitties haven't brought a mouse in the house for a while now... And stuck on an avocado leaf, 4 feet in the air?

Then I started seeing more of them, and realized it must be Squeaky's poop. -- "Squeaky" is what my kids named the tree frog that is still alive and calling several times a day in the Green Room. :lol:

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I don't mind the leaves being floppy and wet, I use them in pasta and pizza anyway. 😉

Applestar, I really don't think that's treefrog poop. I've hardly seen my usual grey buddies. It has been dry up until yesterday evening. I think I'll just go ahead and pick and freeze most of my basil. I'll have to wash it extremely well, probably a million times. Nasty, unsanitary creature poop. That's disgusting. 😝

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:06 pm
I don't mind the leaves being floppy and wet, I use them in pasta and pizza anyway. 😉

Applestar, I really don't think that's treefrog poop. I've hardly seen my usual grey buddies. It has been dry up until yesterday evening. I think I'll just go ahead and pick and freeze most of my basil. I'll have to wash it extremely well, probably a million times. Nasty, unsanitary creature poop. That's disgusting. 😝
So you freeze basil. I wonder if I can freeze cilantro? I figured it would be mush when it thaws out or loose all its flavor.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I think most leaves turn mushy after freezing and re-thawing, unless special processes are used - flash freezing? - but I haven't noticed significant flavor loss with the things we've done in our home freezer. We generally only use them, chopped, in cooking. That works OK. When the weather allows, we sun-dry and chop herbs for future use. We also have a herb pot on the shelf above the stove, and throw in a chopped 'big pinch' of whatever we've just harvested. The mix dries there and is never the same twice but always interesting.

That reminds me, we used to keep a rum pot (rumtopf?) - rum, sugar and whatever fruits get added as the season rolls along. Don't know why we stopped but I think we should start doing that again.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Freezing greens just makes them turn mushy, that's why you never hear of freezing lettuce. Freezing certain items just causes a texture change. I did a lot of internet research on freezing certain items, and one of the items not recommended for freezing was greens due to when you thaw them out, they turn into green mush.

Blocks of cheese can be frozen, but when thawed out, they're crumbly. Eggs can be frozen but the yolk gets rubbery.

I don't see why Cilantro can't be frozen. Maybe over a certain period of time, it might lose a bit of flavor. Basil might to. But I'd rather freeze it than worry about finding poop on it.

applestar
Mod

Chopped cilantro can be frozen in lime juice cubes if you plan to use in salsa, etc. Classic for basil is to make pesto (with or without nuts) then freeze in cubes or dollops.

I freeze whole kale, etc. greens in zip freezer bags — once frozen they break/crumble Off the central leaf vein and remain loosely pourable/scoopable for general use in pasta sauce, fried rice, etc AS LONG AS you take out what you need and put right back in the freezer and not allow to thaw. If that happens, I usually just end up adding water to the bag and pouring out to add to soup, etc. (but have also considered freezing in ice cube tray).

I like frozen lettuce for adding to soups and cooking with a bit of broth after chopped ham or bacon are ready.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”