kayjay
Green Thumb

If I Want To Save Basil Seeds...

... are the leaves still good to eat once the plant goes to seed? Or is it like bolting greens?

I’ve done some googling around but haven’t seen anyone mention that. I grew it and saved the seeds about 15 years ago and don’t remember.

TIA!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

First, make sure that there is only one basil you are growing, or isolate it, as they cross very easily. As for saving the seeds, choose the best plant, and let that go to seed, and let the seeds pretty much dry up on the plant. I've never harvested the leaves while doing this, as I have had plenty of other plants, but you could probably just let one branch flower, and harvest from the rest, being sure to keep cutting the buds. I've never had any off flavors from bolting basil.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Awesome, thanks Dave. :) I only have two plants and they're the same, but who knows about my neighbors. Heh. I'm in a crowded townhouse complex. Maybe I should bag the flowers.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When my basil tries to bolt I cut the seed tops off. Leaves are still good to eat. If my plants are in pots I move them to full shade where it is cooler that will slow down or stop bolting for a while. When temperature is 98 degrees here in TN it is hard to stop bolting unless I can keep the plant cool. When I take pots inside the house in AC 72 degrees bolting stops for a while but plants don't get enough sun light unless they are right next to a sunny window but no direct sun heat makes plants bolt. If you cut the ends off of each limb & the top plants grows a Y at each cut limb and Y at the top they becomes 2 limbs and 2 tops. 12 limbs will become 24 limbs, trim them again you get 48, trim again you get 96, basil plant looks like a 2 ft round ball looking bush. I keep cutting off seed tops that keeps the plant alive and growing. 8 years ago I had a basil plant outside planted under a bush for full shade all day I am was surprised it lived for 3 years then freezing weather killed it.
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Thanks, Gary. I guess I could bring one indoors in the fall, too, or start a cutting for the winter. It might not be too happy in my chilly kitchen, but might be worth a try.

I HAVE been pruning it quite a bit. I've already had some tasty meals out of it. When I have too much, I make some herb butter and keep it in the fridge to put on chicken or veggies.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

What is herb butter and how do you make it?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

You can make all sorts of herb butters - tarragon and dill butters are two common ones. Just stir some chopped herbs into the softened butter - just enough to add the herb flavor, but leaving the butter flavor, as well.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Okay, so...if I want to make some basil butter. I'd soften a stick of butter, stir in some basil leaves, and reharden the butter in the refrigerator until ready to use? What dishes can herb butter be used in?

I thought remember reading somewhere about making herb ice cubes. Freezing some herbs mixed in water in icecube trays and toss it into a dish while preparing it?

kayjay
Green Thumb

What I did was melt some butter in a saucepan, add the chopped basil plus some dried oregano and garlic powder, let it simmer a bit, then cool and store in the fridge. I'll probably put it on zucchini noodles plus some parmesan cheese in a couple of weeks. You can use it to roast chicken, put on pasta, or just about anything.

The only one I've frozen in water is cilantro, because the only thing I'm going to use it for is salsa, which is water based. The other herbs, I prefer in oils. I wouldn't want to splash ice into a searing pan of hot stuff. I do freeze them in ice cube trays, then separate them and put them back in the freezer. Same with pesto. Nice for cooking in winter.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

That sounds absolutely delicious!! 😃

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”