Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Where to buy low cost celery seed not $8 for 2oz + tax

I need celery seed for cooking and making pickles. I was shocked to find a 2oz bottle is $8 + tax = $8.80

For the cost of 2oz celery seed I can buy 4 jars of factory made bread & butter pickles. WHY make my own pickles.

I did online search for celery seed substitutes thinking maybe celery stalks sliced & diced will work but no information.

Local Mexican flea market has lots of low cost herbs and spices $3 to $4 per lb but no celery seed.

I don't think I can grow celery in TN if i could it can't be done in 2 month to get my own seed.

Where to buy celery seed at a reasonable price???

applestar
Mod

Re: Where to buy low cost celery seed not $8 for 2oz + tax

Do you have local stores that sell bulk spices? That might be a good place to start? A quick search — some on-line bulk spice sellers that at least have better price than $8 for 2 oz jar. One had free shipping with minimum purchase.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

https://www.spicesinc.com has whole celery seed for $4.79/lb. They always have good deals on spices, and have a great variety.

I tried Penzeys, but a pop-up came on, asking for my email address and zip code, and I couldn't get past that, without entering the info. I guess places like that don't realize that they will probably lose more customers doing things like this than they will obtain!

Spicesinc has a free shipping after $35, but you may find a promo code somewhere that reduces this to $25, and maybe a deal for first time customers.
Dave

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Penzey
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ ... -1244/pd-s
Not as good a price as what pepper head posted

imafan26
Mod

I think celery seed spice comes from an old celery relative called smallage.
https://www.alchemy-works.com/apium_graveolens.html

I grow leaf celery or kin sai which is very similar. It has a much stronger celery taste, the stems are hollow. The taste is bitter so it is not eaten raw, but is good as part of a mirepoix base for cooking. It produces copious amounts of seed that are very fragrant, but I only keep them for replanting. It is not the same thing but is very similar.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”