AK_Tom
Newly Registered

Unattended Indoor Herb Growing

I'm interested in starting a small herb garden, but I have a number of fairly unique mitigating factors that are challenging me on how best to go about it:

1. The garden will need to be completely self sufficient for a period of two weeks. I am away from home working for two week blocks at a time, then home for two weeks. I live alone and don't want to have somebody else come water, as I think that doing so is just too much to ask someone on such a regular basis.

2. Indoors is a must. I am growing in Anchorage, AK, so the season is short (though with plentiful sun). My outdoor space is also extremely limited, with a mostly shaded or paved lot. I have an excellent ~4'x6' south facing window with no trees blocking the sun that I have allocated for this during the summer, and if I can create a system that works, I will get some artificial lighting for the long winter months. For now, I can expect 12-18 hours of direct sun on a clear day

So far, I have considered automatic watering timers, self watering containers, and hydroponic systems, but I'm not sure which will be the best options for each of the herbs I'm interested in. So far, here is what I've read on each one:

Rosemary: Needs well drained soil and dry roots, self watering containers are not suitable. Root mass can cause issues in hydroponic systems.
Basil, Mint, Chives: Easily grown in hydroponic systems or self watering containers.
Sage: Another dry root plant, haven't found much other info.
Thyme: Suitable for similar conditions as rosemary, but potentially better suited to self watering pots.

What methods would you suggest for each of these plants? Is there one system that would suit them all, or am I likely going to need multiples? If any of my above conclusions is wrong, please correct me!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”