Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Do you grow/like lemon balm?

In the thread about identifying mint plants, applestar mentioned that lemon balm is a mint but does not smell minty. I have to say that it nevertheless has a strong smell; lemony, but concentrated to the point that it repels me and I associate it with cilantro, which I strongly dislike. I've seen it suggested that people who find cilantro 'soapy,' as I do, are super tasters/smellers. I don't know about that (or make that claim.) :?

I do know I treat lemon balm like a weed. I'm rid of it now but for several years it appeared randomly all over my garden, not spread by underground roots/runners but some seed-scattering agency - birds?

I dislike it so much I can't imagine why it would ever be called 'balm.'

applestar
Mod

I think lemon balm are easily propagated from seeds since mine have also spread to far reaches of the garden. Their white or pale yellow (not mint-typical pink/purple) blossoms are certainly favored by bees, wasps, and other nectar-lovers, just like mints.

However, I’m pretty sure I didn’t originally grow them from seeds but may have acquired from at least two different sources. I have noticed their scent can vary. First plant I had produced a strong scent that was more mosquito repellent citronella than citrus, most definitely not lemony by any stretch of imagination. It was not useful for tea, not even for potpourri. I relegated the dried herbs to moth repellant sachets and under-doormat herbs (I toss bug repellant herbs under the coir doormat so they are crushed whe you step on the mat), and transplanted them all behind our children’s swing set under the oak tree. That worked out well.

After that, I obtained a 2nd, lemony lemon balm for my kitchen herb garden. This one is lovely in tea, both fresh and dried.

I think that, like mint and other herbs with specific desirable qualities, it’s best to grow divisions and cuttings of best scented/flavored selections. If growing from seeds, look for reliable seed source and choose named cultivars rather than generic if available, and grow multiple seedlings, select and keep the best, cull the others.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Now why didn't I think of that! - Using kitchen-undesirable herbs as insect repellant - well done applestar; thanks. And it's interesting that you found some varieties of lemon balm good for making lemony tea, but others definitely not.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I wasn't find of lemon balm either, the only time I tried it.

applestar
Mod

I admit I like lemon verbena best out of lemon balm, lemon grass, lemon verbena — at least in terms of refreshing lemony scent. Each has its uses.

- Lemon balm — “balm” — is Melissa officinalis. The ‘officinalis’ part indicates it’s listed in the oldest Herbal as recognized medicinal. Being a mint family, most basic/common remedy and recognized efficacy is related to soothing digestive and stomach upsets. I believe it is also considered “calming” for other stress and anxiety-related physiological responses. I do use it in herbal tea blends — usually for caffein-free, night time drinking.

- I prefer the strongly refreshing lemony aroma of lemon verbena for uplifting mid-day tea, sometimes combined with caffeinated tea.

- I mostly use lemongrass for cooking with heat — soup, braised meat, etc. — to be removed prior to eating. Lately, I’m tending to use lemon tree leaves for similar purposes.

- Tender, edible young lemon balm and lemon verbena leaves are also useful for fish and chicken accompaniment as well as salad and soup accents/garnish.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am also not fond of the lemon balm that grows in my yard. However, quite a few mints grow in my yard and they are all a bit invasive and, I must say, I'm not at the top of the list of mint fans :wink: . (DW likes them.)

The mints try to sneak into the lawn grass but not so much the lemon balm. It is at the northeast corner of a building that shades it most of the day. Grass that is mowed and trimmed is close by.

Mint grows in shade. However, shade in the afternoon is a happy location for my apple mint that seems much more invasion oriented. The lemon balm has shade nearly all day. Now the chocolate mint has so much shade that its weak summertime growth leaves it nearly at death's door after a hard winter. I'm sure that it would very much like to take up a location somewhere else.

Yes, lemon verbena - for any use :). It does need winter protection.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I like lemon balm in herbal tea mixes (often with a bit of lemon zest added to up the lemony factor). It is easy to grow. In my old location it was starting to get a bit weedy. But it is easy to pull, so not much of a problem if it pops up somewhere you don't like it. So far it hasn't spread (yet) here....

You can make a lemony simple syrup with lemon balm, infuse it in to honey or vinegar, chop it in to fruit salads, add it to jams or jellies, make lemon balm and honey butter, infuse it into water or iced tea for a refreshing summer drink. It is reputed to have many medicinal properties. If you don't like to eat it, you can make a relaxing bath infusion with lemon balm and rose petals in a sachet that you run your bath water through. Make a ginger and lemon balm cold syrup, since lemon balm has antiviral properties (https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/ginger-lem ... ral-syrup/), or make a tincture. You can make home made mosquito repellents or lip balm with it. Put your dried lemon balm in a dream pillow under your sleeping pillow for relaxed sleep. You can use your lemon balm infused vinegar for household cleaning. Or you can infuse it in to oil and make a natural lemon scented wood polish.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

The lemony herb I've most liked for teas & cooking was a scented geranium that we've never been able to replace. Scented geraniums seem to come in all sorts, names & descriptions but we haven't found one anywhere close to identical.

MaLiorzh

I put lemon balm in my tea from time to time. It's recommended when you're feeling down in the dumps or a little sick.

imafan26
Mod

I find most mints are invasive. I do grow lemon balm and it is one of the least invasive ones I have, but it is also growing in a hostile environment. It is mostly used as a tea, but like most lemon scented herbs, it is insect repellent as well. Cats do not like the scent of citrus and while they will curl up in a coffee can pot of spearmint all day until they kill it, they don't like to sit in lemon balm.

It does make a calming cup of herbal tea.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”