HughFennell
Newly Registered

Tea Plants Growing

As I have posted earlier I am new to the gardening. I am a fan of tea and different types of it. Especially plants that can be used for the improving body and mental health, such as Ginkgo Biloba, Ashwagandha, Gotu Kola, and other. So, can some of these plants grow in zone 5b? And what do I need for that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gingko for sure will grow there. It is a tree, that gets pretty tall. I have no idea what the others are.

But most herbs have medicinal properties:

turmeric is a strong anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory

ginger is related to turmeric and is also anti-inflammatory, but also is soothing to the stomach and has a lot of minerals and vitamins.

sage is anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant (like many herbs). It is reputed to be beneficial for memory and cognition and to help prevent Alzheimer's. It is high in Vitamin K. It is helpful against sore throats.

parsley is high in Vitamins K, A, C, iron, and folate ( a B vitamin) and calcium. It is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

hot peppers are high in Vitamin C, A, and E, anti-inflammatory, reduces nasal congestion

rosemary has a number of vitamins and is known for improving memory and mental clarity as well as improving digestion

peppermint is soothing to the stomach, reduces nausea and IBS pain

holy basil is anti-bacterial and boosts immune function

this is not a complete list, but a good place to start.

Rosemary, turmeric, and ginger you could grow in containers and bring indoors for the winter.

I like to make teas/ infusions of various herbal blends.

Here's one place I posted some herbal tea blend recipes: viewtopic.php?t=40087

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”