Maggie4

herb garden

Hello everyone!
Since few months I am considering creating a herb garden. I have got some space in my vegetal garden (1m x 1m). I read that this is enough space to grow there some herbs. What is worrying me is the fact that I am not sure what herbs I can put there. I know that different plants have different requirements so I want herbs with simmilar ones to provide them the best conditions. I am going to order herbs from https://gardenseedsmarket.com/herbs-en/ so if you could help me it will be amazing. I am going to make one order so I want to make a list first.
If you want to know my preferences for sure I would like to grow there basic herbs as basil, mint, rosemary, lavender. What else would you recommend?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I have one with Rosemary, chives, Spearmint, Chocolate mint, Sage and horseradish. Going to add garlic Chives next season
I grow oregano all over the place so I don't plant that in my limited size herb garden.
I'm in zone 7 and sometimes get the Rosemary to overwinter with a bit of care.
The horseradish can get out of control.
My mints are planted in 5 gallon buckets with the bottoms cut off and the top sticks out about 4" to keep the plants in check.
I'll look for some pics.

Found one from July

This garden recently got nicknamed "The Greendale Community Garden" by the neighbors because I tell them to help themselves.
Greendale is the street I live on.

imafan26
Mod

Please add your location to your profile so we know where you are.

Herbs do well in pots so I usually keep them there instead. I don't like to work around perennial plants in the veggie garden. I have a couple that have rooted themselves in and are taking up a lot of space so I have to evict them.

I would grow herbs you like to use.

Mint should always be contained. Preferably in a pot that does not touch the ground. I put mine in hanging baskets. It will take over in the garden. In a container, you will have to divide it frequently when it looks really nice because the roots will wind and choke itself.

Lavender and rosemary are potentially large plants and perennials that like the sun and not a lot of water. The would work well in any open space in your garden. Lavender becomes a mound at least 3 ft high and wide. You will need to cut back the green wood at least annually to keep it from becoming woody and leggy. Rosemary can live on rain once it is established. If it gets a lot of water it can become a tree.

For culinary herbs, I like to grow basil ( I can only grow holy basil now because of downy mildew), Greek oregano, marjoram, thyme, hot peppers, parsley, chives, Mexican tarragon, Jamaican oregano, and green onions.

I also grow ginger, turmeric, lemon grass, kaffir lime, and citrus trees (meyer lemon, persian lime, yuzu, calamondin), and bay leaves in pots.

Seasonally, I can grow cilantro, dill, fennel, fenugreek, cumin, borage, and shiso.

With the lemon grass, hot peppers, chili, limes, lemons, kaffir lime, basil, and ginger, I can make Thai dishes almost anytime.

The oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, citrus, and mints are good for rubs and marinades. I like to throw fresh rosemary sprigs on the charcoal fire to make rosemary smoke for chicken.

I have turmeric, cilantro, hot pepper, and Indian curry leaves for part of the base for a curry. I can't grow cumin or fenugreek year round.

MariaDigsGardening

You may be interested in the idea of building an herb spiral. The idea is that you build a raised garden bed in a spiral shape, where each location in the spiral has a unique microclimate based on the shape of the spiral. The lower locations that are situated away from the sun have a cool, moist microclimate that is good for herbs that need a lot of water, like parsley and chives. The top of the spiral is warm and gets lots of sun, which is good for plants like rosemary.

This website has a really great overview and many examples: https://themicrogardener.com/4-step-...a-herb-spiral/

This is something that I want to try someday!

imafan26
Mod

Sounds interesting. the link did not work for me all it said was "forbidden"

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”