MaLiorzh

Rice paddy herb - Limnophila chinensis var. aromatica

Anybody tried this one? I'm having trouble finding it here. I can buy it online from aquarium shops (hope its the same thing) but they only seem to sell the coloured (red) variety. Perhaps I'll ask my local Asian supermarket to see if they can stock it. Can it be grown from seed? Anyway, all I've read suggests that it's delicious and worth the effort.

applestar
Mod

Thanks for introducing this plant. Now I want to try growing some.

For me here in the U.S., quick search shows listings at aquarium plant websites ... as we are heading into fall, this is a good time to buy live plants for shipping distances.... Question is how long to grow them in “clean” conditions before they might be considered edible.

Good luck and keep us posted on your efforts, and once you start growing them, what you think of them. :D

MaLiorzh

Will do.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

They have it here, at an Asian market, that caters to Vietnamese. I grew it once indoors, rooted from what I bought there, but it attracted spider mites terribly, so I didn't try it again.

applestar
Mod

Ooohhh. Is that the one on 38 or 130? I wonder if they still have it?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Ooohhh. Is that the one on 38 or 130? I wonder if they still have it?
It's the one on 38, and they always seem to have that, as well as many other herbs (red and green perilla, Thai basil, holy basil, rao ram, and some I don't know ) there. It doesn't seem to be a seasonal thing.

applestar
Mod

imafan26
Mod

If your local asian supermarket stocks it and you get fresh stems, then you can grow them.

MaLiorzh

As for spider mite and other bugs, Rice paddy herb is used as an aquarium plant so anybody growing it as a herb would have the option of completely submerging it in water for a prolonged period of time to drown pests. Not an option one has with the majority of herbs. If only!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Never thoght about that, MaLiorzh! I grow it in hydroponics - I figured that it would do well in hydro, and it did, if it weren't for the attraction of spider mites, which is a problem I had with rau ram, too.

MaLiorzh

I've just got some RPH stems from my local Asian supermarket so let's see if they'll grow. I've put them in a jar of water with a clear plastic bag over the top to keep the humidity high while rooting. My objective is to grow the plant outside eventually.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Good luck, ML! One good note - while I haven't tried RPH outside, others that have attracted spider mites, as well as aphids, indoors, don't do the same when I grow them outside. No idea why... :?:

MaLiorzh

What's the average minimum temperature when you put your plants outside?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”