Rollcage
Newly Registered

Thyme Dries Out and Dies

seriously don't understand what's up with my Thyme.
dries out and dies. Very little roots
would think it's root rot, but I have water meter, let it dry out (slightly to the red) and then water.
great self draining soil
Tried normal soil, tried with some sand and vermiculite and slightly alkaline.
Don't fertilize
Moved from plastic to terra cotta
live in barcelona, should be ok temperature, sun, etc.
etc. etc. it's not like I haven't researched this a lot.
really just don't get it! :)

applestar
Mod

I think you might be being too cautious about overwatering. Try normal soil mixed 1:1 with sand. Thyme does need some nutrients to start with and especially in a container. When watering, water thoroughly, then water again when surface is dry to touch when you push your finger on it.

Another way is to heft the pot after watering, note how heavy it feels, then water again when it feels lighter. Keep in semi-shade or filtered sun for about a week after repotting, then gradually put in sunnier spot but potted thyme should still be protected from fiercest sun. If you plan to put in really sunny spot use larger container so it doesn’t dry out as quickly.

Rollcage
Newly Registered

I don't know ... I water the same as oregano, marjoram, laurel and rosemary ... all those are doing famously

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I see what you mean, but one difference I could think of is that thyme is a smaller shallower/not as extensively rooted plant? Are they in separate pots?

Rollcage
Newly Registered

separate pots, yes, definitely.
ahhh, maybe the pots they are in are too big?

imafan26
Mod

I had the same problem. I thought the dry Mediterranean herbs needed to dry out. They need well drained soil and they don't like to get a lot of water on their heads especially for days at a time, but they actually in a pot can be watered daily. They need only a small amount of fertilizer and I use osmocote which is a slow release fertilizer that is good for 3 months in summer and 6 months in winter. They need to be in full sun, if they don't get enough light, they don't thrive as well. They should be cut frequently and I make sure the pot is wide so I can root the runners. Eventually the center part of the thyme gets woody and the roots which are fine fill the container. I then take some of the rooted runners and start new pots and sometimes I can core out the middle and fill it in with new potting mix, and let the runners grow in. Most of the time I start new roots because the fine roots are all over the pot and it is easier for me to start another than to mend an old one. I can usually get the original thyme to give me rooted divisions 2-3 times before the center gets woody. It roots in about 6 weeks and I can make 4-6 divisions for new pots. In the ground it is easier to keep the plants living longer since the divisions sprawl farther from the main stem and can find new soil that is not full of roots. It just has to be in full sun. Even in the soil, and I have clay, it needs to get regular water at least every 1-2 days especially in summer. My summer temps average 78- 91 with 60-100% humidity. I have micro sprinklers and they are on only 5 minutes so they don't get that much water.

MaLiorzh

Here in Brittany I've found things to be somewhat similar. Whilst my oreganos, marjorams, hyssop, savoury, rosemary, micromeria, sage, and cotton lavender all flourish, thyme is a different kettle of fish. I have one largish bush in the ground right next to the terrace which seems to do well, but when I've tried thyme plants anywhere else in the garden - even just 30 cm from the successful plant - they never seem to survive the winter. Or if they do survive then in a really feeble state - and don't even speak to me about lemon thyme on which I've simply given up.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”