ARThompson
Newly Registered

Lavender Recently Pruned Now Browning

Hello, all! I have been watching YouTube videos and reading online research about how to prune new lavender plants, already established plant from the store, but haven't found much. I pruned what I believed was the right amount, but now one of the main stalks is browning. We have had a ton of rain in East TN lately, so I've kept my lavender inside with a heat mat and occasionally a heat lamp. What do I need to do now? Leave it alone? Repot? Help! (New lavender parent)
Attachments
20180530_130249~2.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Lavender does turn black when it is left in the rain and it rains for days. It does need to be pruned annually but only prune new wood. Cutting into old wood sometimes causes die back. I have killed a few lavender plants myself by over pruning. I cheat now and only prune half the plant and wait to cut back woody stems until they have sprouted new branches. They will only do that well once they are are exposed to more light. Then I cut back the other half. I have had my plant die back before, sometimes one branch, sometimes all of them and usually it is because of roots rotting from too much water.

ARThompson
Newly Registered

I have been good about not leaving them outside in the rain, they're all in pots and have been inside during all of this rain. They all look okay, but the one I photographed is browning a little. I take them outside with any chance of sun that come through here but I drowned my plant last year, learned my lesson as far as that goes. Just want to make sure what I'm seeing is normal due to my pruning or not.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”