mogwairadio
Newly Registered

Mystery Herb!

I recently moved into a new house and I know that there are herbs planted everywhere by the previous owner, but I have no idea what this is even after a couple of hours of online searching! If anyone can give me an idea of what it might be, I'd really appreciate it, as someone who is a total novice to gardening but excited to get better at it.
Attachments
???
???

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! So, does this plant have a particular aroma that gives you the idea that this is an herb? I have grown at least 30 varieties of herbs, and this does not look familiar, though I don't grow non-culinary varieties, so maybe it's a medicinal variety. Or maybe not an herb?

imafan26
Mod

I am not sure but could it be shungiku or garland Chrysanthemum. It is an edible Japanese herb. The leaves look similar but maybe look closer to see if there are differences I cannot see. I only tried to grow it once and it did not do well so I never tried again.

https://www.thekitchn.com/ingredient-sp ... iku-102793

applestar
Mod

Ooh the two response you received are in line with mine — I Was also wondering what kind of aroma (I was going to say “smell” but aroma sounds ever so much better!).

I’m thinking this does look like either chrysanthemum family such as shungiku or perhaps feverfew.... or artemisia family such as yomogi (edible mugwort) or other medicinal mugwort such as moxa... My first thought was yomogi, though. Imafan, do they look like yomogi to you? They would be more frosty blue green-ish than shungiku.

Shungiku leaves would have more mum-like fragrance when handled, but I keep thinking the leaves would be a bit rounded off and not as sharply pointed like these....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mugwort was my first thought. If so it would be aromatic, like chrysanthemum foliage, but stronger. The leaves would be a bit downy on the underside.

If it is mugwort, it is reputed to have medicinal effects. But mugwort pollen is also a very potent allergen. If you are a hayfever sufferer, I would be sure to get rid of it. It is basically a weed and is not native in North America.

imafan26
Mod

Yomogi is a possibility. When yomogi grows for me it is not bushy, it is tall and spreading a lot like artemesia. It becomes a weed so I keep the yomogi starved and in a pot. It still likes to come out the bottom holes.
Sweet artemesia does look like the leaves above. Regular yarrow has a silvery leaf.

MaLiorzh

Looks like mugwort ( Artemisia vulgaris) to me. It's a native here in Brittany. Grows like wildfire. I use the tips of the plant in stir-fries and Asian soups. Yomogi (Artemisia princeps) is also know as Japanese mugwort. Both are very vigorous and invasive, and as has been said, the pollen is highly allergenic.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”